what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today I drained the oil, removed my clutch and gearbox, tightened all my crankcase bolts then loosened them one at a time to put blue threadlocker on. Put the gearbox back on, tightened everything back down, and put fresh oil in. What I used to do whenever I changed the oil was have a funnel and a jug and put the funnel right under the oil drain hole, but I always spilled oil everywhere anyway. The bike is down in the basement right now, and I couldn't spill oil all over the place down there because we share the basement with out neighbors. So instead, I put an oil pan under the bike and just let the oil drip. Much less mess, and I can pour the oil into the jug when I'm done. I'm doing the oil this way from now on.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Pulled my front wheel and took it to get trued.

Currently been out riding it, waiting for it to cool down a tad cuz I wanna pull my air cleaner. Think the filter is gummed up, sounds like it's 4 stroking.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

After riding around town with one motorized bicycle buds came home and decided to make a truing stand for my wheels . So I took my original fork from my bike and did some modifications to it so I could chuck it in the vice . Then at lunch while having lunch I sat the about 6 YouTube videos on how to true a bicycle wheels. I just finished secondary back wheel it turns out it's pretty easy. I'll order some spare spokes to have them on hand. No more money for the bike shops. Yea!!!$$laff

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas

After riding around town with one motorized bicycle buds came home and decided to make a truing stand for my wheels . So I took my original fork from my bike and did some modifications to it so I could chuck it in the vice . Then at lunch while having lunch I sat the about 6 YouTube videos on how to true a bicycle wheels. I just finished secondary back wheel it turns out it's pretty easy. I'll order some spare spokes to have them on hand. No more money for the bike shops. Yea!!!$$laff
Learning to true wheels is something I've had my mind on. I've already got another set of wheels ordered to have spares. Have a book on how to do it. Now I guess I've got to get a truing stand and watch some videos.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Ken , get an old fork and a couple of zip ties and put them on the fork for point indicators . the videos are easy man .I'm tired of giving my money away .thats 15 or 20 dollars every time towards happy hour .LMAOlaff

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas

Ken , get an old fork and a couple of zip ties and put them on the fork for point indicators . the videos are easy man .I'm tired of giving my money away .thats 15 or 20 dollars every time towards happy hour .LMAOlaff
Yes, I understand that. I will be on the look for videos involving bicycles and wheel truing poor dummies.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I put some shrink tubing on a ground wire. When I did the wiring on this bike, I forgot to put shrink tubing on the wire before crimping the eyelet connector on (the ground wires are bolted to the luggage rack and the seatpost clamp bolt). So I covered the end of the wire with electrical tape, meaning to find a more permanent solution later but forgetting. My bike got a little wet the other day, and my lights went all wonky. Neither my brake light nor my headlight would work right by themselves, only if I activated them both at the same time. This morning I disconnected and reconnected the ground wires from the battery, and both lights returned to normal operation. I had other things to do on the bike, and didnt really think too much about the ground wire being insulated properly until now. I knew if I didnt take care of it right away, it would bug me until I either did take care of it or forgot about it again. So I went down, undid the crimp very carefully with a pair of diagonals, selected the shrink tubing I wanted, cut a few lengths, slid it over the wire, crimped the connector back on, pulled out the lighter I keep in my pocket (I dont smoke anything, just carry a lighter in case I need it), and shrunk the tubing, then bolted the wire down again. Lights still work, so I didn't screw anything up.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Well, 300 miles, decided to pull my head and replace the gasket, it was looking kind of sad. Found a nice streak on the inside of my jug. I think the cheap chrome plating is not working very well. lol Also clean the head as well, apparently the sanding job I had done a couple months ago has worked well, as the carbon film is very smooth, not rough and sooty like it was before. brnot

Nice chocolate brown:

Lovely streaks...

Pay no mind to the ridge in the head, manufacturing ridge. This was after I sprayed the crap out of it with TB cleaner

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Are those streaks actually grooves or are they just discolored areas?

The widest mark that goes all the way to top of cylinder could only be caused by something being between piston and cylinder and riding on top of top piston ring at some time or the other, the second streak is in the area that the piston ring retaining pin would be at, if it has worked out of the piston and is rubbing against cylinder wall that is why that mark is likely there.
Might not be a bad idea since your already into it this far to go ahead and pull that jug/cylinder and take a look at the piston ring retaining pin and see if it has worked out against the cylinder wall, if it has I'd get me a new piston asap or you will destroy the engine in time as that groove gets deeper.

if you cant feel a groove with your finger nail then maybe its not an issue but if you can feel a groove you have a problem, my cylinders with 1000-2000 miles on them dont look like that....

Map

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Are those streaks actually grooves or are they just discolored areas?

The widest mark that goes all the way to top of cylinder could only be caused by something being between piston and cylinder and riding on top of top piston ring at some time or the other, the second streak is in the area that the piston ring retaining pin would be at, if it has worked out of the piston and is rubbing against cylinder wall that is why that mark is likely there.
Might not be a bad idea since your already into it this far to go ahead and pull that jug/cylinder and take a look at the piston ring retaining pin and see if it has worked out against the cylinder wall, if it has I'd get me a new piston asap or you will destroy the engine in time as that groove gets deeper.

if you cant feel a groove with your finger nail then maybe its not an issue but if you can feel a groove you have a problem, my cylinders with 1000-2000 miles on them dont look like that....

Map
Well, it's back together. The streaks are grooves. I don't think the retaining pin is the problem, because if you look, both are just to the right of the exhaust port. If it were the retaining pin wouldn't it be right on with the transfer port? It just doesn't make sense, engine runs well, no weird noises, has good power. I dunno, maybe when I get a job I'll just replace the top end on it and call it a day. Granted, by that time I'd probably be looking at a complete engine replacement. (dax lower, you know. ;) )

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Actually if piston wa sin backwards the retaining pin for piston ring would be in that exact spot, got a jug and a piston in front of me now and that is what it shows would be the case, as long as it is running good just run it and if it goes ka-poot..... than you can go from there since you cant change any parts right now, it will probably be fine, just giving you some ideas on what it could be thats causing the grooves, if it is that pin it will get worse until the pin is able to come out and then you will have serious issues more than likely but maybe that wont happen..... fingers crossed for ya bro.

Map
reddd

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Actually if piston wa sin backwards the retaining pin for piston ring would be in that exact spot, got a jug and a piston in front of me now and that is what it shows would be the case, as long as it is running good just run it and if it goes ka-poot..... than you can go from there since you cant change any parts right now, it will probably be fine, just giving you some ideas on what it could be thats causing the grooves, if it is that pin it will get worse until the pin is able to come out and then you will have serious issues more than likely but maybe that wont happen..... fingers crossed for ya bro.

Map
reddd
Gotcha now.

I pop the top on my engine every 100 or so miles anyhow, so if anything happens, I'll find it. :)