what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I put a grip shifter on a few days ago as a clutch. =) Much better than the handle clutch that had to be mounted way up on the cruiser bars and doesn't work on my new straight bars. And it keeps the handlebars clean! It would actually be tempting to use a continuous-style thumb shifter as a throttle for cruising around, but I like my twist throttle for now. =)

Tonights projects; try to set up a choke control with a thumb shifter. =)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

i hit 46 kph today.
cant get the chain set to my satisfaction.too tight. if i add a link,my tensioner wont take up the slack.
like a dodo,i welded it to the frame in exactly the wrong spot.i might make a new longer bracket,slot it to take up about two links.
put about 10 kilometres on it without a hiccup.the more i run it ,the faster it goes.

Steve1990

Jun 12, 2012
I can see Detroit from here!

Its actually the rear motor mount. broke right about the 400mile mark, so probably 200miles ago. its the left side, opposite of the clutch. When that happened I replaced the other 3 w/ grade-8 bolts. reworked the bracket for the rear mount and it is pretty solid, but the bike hasn't been running right for awhile and I noticed with it shaking as much as it does that their is more movement than I'd like in that mount. Worst part is, the stud is broken ~1/8 of an inch in, and I can't get a drill bit to NOT walk onto the softer aluminum to drill it out.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Its actually the rear motor mount. broke right about the 400mile mark, so probably 200miles ago. its the left side, opposite of the clutch. When that happened I replaced the other 3 w/ grade-8 bolts. reworked the bracket for the rear mount and it is pretty solid, but the bike hasn't been running right for awhile and I noticed with it shaking as much as it does that their is more movement than I'd like in that mount. Worst part is, the stud is broken ~1/8 of an inch in, and I can't get a drill bit to NOT walk onto the softer aluminum to drill it out.
Yep, Sometimes those things are a bear to get out. Try a small center punch to get you started, ( a GOOD one.) Buy a real good one if you have to. It's cheaper than a new motor or case.
fatdaddy.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Bummer Steve. Yea with a loose mount(or rubber, boo), the motor'll shake and foam the gas in the bowl, then it'll sputter and spit till you slow down or pull over for a minute.

I did a weird mod a while back on my beater bike, and Al.Fisherman added some great pics of his mods too. It's worth a read eh. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35936
Very innovative, I've done something very close to this for the front mount. If the sides of the front mount holes are ALL busted out you can save buying a new case.(or engine.)
fatdaddy.

Steve1990

Jun 12, 2012
I can see Detroit from here!

Bummer Steve. Yea with a loose mount(or rubber, boo), the motor'll shake and foam the gas in the bowl, then it'll sputter and spit till you slow down or pull over for a minute.

I did a weird mod a while back on my beater bike, and Al.Fisherman added some great pics of his mods too. It's worth a read eh. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35936
Funny, I've NEVER seen that thread before, and that is exactly what I'd planned to do. Great minds think alike?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL

I put a manic mechanic sprocket adapter on my Panama Jack. I should have done that the day I got the engine kit. Why didn't anyone tell me such a thing existed.

Oh well, live and learn...

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee

I put a manic mechanic sprocket adapter on my Panama Jack. I should have done that the day I got the engine kit. Why didn't anyone tell me such a thing existed.

there are lots of things you can learn by reading what others have built and seeing the parts they used and how they used them....
You will learn what works well and what does not work so well

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I've used the Manic mount before. It's OK, theres nothing much wrong with it. I've just found the Howard sprocket mount to be superier. It's a three peice rather than a two peice, and that lets it apply pressure more evenly around the hub. Also, It has the standard nine hole mount pattern that allows you to change to any standard sprocket size. And then there's the Manic ALUMINUM sprocket. Even the cheap chinese sprockets are made out of steel. And you HAVE to buy it from a Manic dealer, (three hole setup.)
So all in all, I'd rather use a Howard. About the same price and more versatile then the Manic. I've been running one on my Cranbrook for 7 or 8 months now without a hitch. You can contact Sgt. Howard on this site or "the other one" for more info.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH, How about some pics bro.

Attachments

Last edited:

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.

Installed my cheap ass combo brake light,tail light,turn singal and horn I picked-up on ebay for $6 to make me abit more legal when my plate and reg. shows up.
The thing works !!usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Installed my cheap ass combo brake light,tail light,turn singal and horn I picked-up on ebay for $6 to make me abit more legal when my plate and reg. shows up.
The thing works !!usflg
$18 is cheap insurance to keep the cops off yer back. I got my plates a couple months ago. Still no M-2 though. Hey, I still gotta be a LITTLE outlaw.
fatdaddy.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

No ride tonight. Been out in the shed putzing with the fuel line. The thick fuel-line rubber section that I'm using as a flexible bridge between the carburettor and the copper has developed a slight, slow drip when I open the petcock. It doesn't seem to drip when the engine runs and I'm moving, only when I idle at a stop or when I shut down first - right before I close the petcock. I probably could have left bad-enough alone, but it was bugging me, so I put a more serious screw-down hose clamp on it. That seems to do the trick.
And even just doing that little bit of work, with the high humidity, the mid 80s heat - even after dark, and the high ozone, all together had me sweating so much I was dripping like a faucet on the floor. When I stood up I saw stars. I got inside, and the air conditioned coolness almost knocked me flat. I drank what seemed like a gallon of water, sat down, and finally started to feel better. I've been doing stuff inside and outside all day. I sure hope tomorrow is cooler. I want to ride.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

try to find a small piece of tubing that fits in the hole,and a drill that fits the tubing.it will keep the bit close to center allowing you to get a mark started for drilling.
i have done this with good success.
a centre punch,good and sharp and a teenie drill bit will get it started too.
a pilot hole is always a good way to start.

third is for hard bolts,a carbide burr in (i prefer the ball shape) a slow drill will grind away the broken bolt.very slow and compressed air to blow away the chips.
i was the broken bolt guru in the shop i worked in for a few years,exhaust manifolds were my forte'

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

try to find a small piece of tubing that fits in the hole,and a drill that fits the tubing.it will keep the bit close to center allowing you to get a mark started for drilling.
i have done this with good success.
a centre punch,good and sharp and a teenie drill bit will get it started too.
a pilot hole is always a good way to start.

third is for hard bolts,a carbide burr in (i prefer the ball shape) a slow drill will grind away the broken bolt.very slow and compressed air to blow away the chips.
i was the broken bolt guru in the shop i worked in for a few years,exhaust manifolds were my forte'
Cool tip/trick FD! I always mess up the pilot.

Gonna try that. Thanks!