Typical top speed......

GoldenMotor.com

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
What's a typical top speed for a bike with 26" tires and a shift kit with the 66cc 2 stroke motor and the basic carb?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
25 to 30 is about average. You didn't say what rear sprocket size you're using. That will impact top speed as well as rider weight and other factors such as carburetor tuning, exhaust style, etc.
The high 30s and even 40s are possible but you'll need to build for those speeds. If the engine is stock, no modifications such as port work, higher compression and expansion chamber exhaust the 25/30 range is about normal.

Tom

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
25 to 30 with a shift kit? What's typical without the shift kit?

Thanks 2door.

Last edited:

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
I think you would get at least 35MPH if you have a shift kit. 25-30MPH is typical top speed range for stock out of the box china girl with the 44tooth sprocket engine screaming.

shift kit must be nice, keep the speed up and rpms down. single speed simplicity is pretty easy though

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
My bike is pretty light weight (Trek 4300) and I'm a buck 35. I should be able to cook with a shift kit.

Avalanche

Jan 24, 2013
Rhode Island
go for it. Sick Bike Parts has a lot of great reviews with their shift kit.

a cheaper alternative if you wanted to go faster(albeit at the expense of torque) would be to just get a smaller back engine sprocket. if you don't have a ton of hills you could probably go down to a 36tooth sprocket easily even with a stock china girl at your weight(135lbs).

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
My bike has disc brakes so I have to get the shift kit. I opted for the 11 tooth jack shaft gear to get a little more top end.

I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll be happy if I can get it all to fit and actually work.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A shift kit doesn't increase your theoretical top speed, it can actually lower it because of added drivetrain losses.

That said, you should be able to hit 35, maybe even 40 with a shift kit depending on your bike's gearing.
Listen to this man. Shift kits do not make your bike faster.
And, what does the fact that your bike has disc brakes have to do with using a shift kit?

Tom

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
The rear disc brake assembly is located where the rear gear from the engine kit would need to mount. So I'm not able to use the engine kit on my bike without a shift kit.

Last edited:

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
Yeah, the price is steep. Not worth it in my opinion to pay 550 so I can use a 180 dollar kit. I like the idea of the shift kit much more.

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
My bike is pretty light weight (Trek 4300) and I'm a buck 35. I should be able to cook with a shift kit.
you dont need a shift kit, go for a 36 tooth sprocket, i live in a sorta hilly sorta flat area and the 36 is suiting me fine, my top speed ranges from 50-60 km/hr . No lies, i do have a NT SPEED CARB but when i had the stock carb on i could keep up with my brother, now that i bought the NT speed carb and installed it, we both pull the same till we reach max rpm then he starts going at least 5 to 10 km/hr more... kinda pissing me off atm. Waiting for a nicer day to work on it.. gas is cold when it gets on your hands in the winter. ^_^
i have a buddy with a speedo and his max speed with a 36 tooth was 71.1 km/r on a cruiser, homade expansion chamber... fast.brnot

Last edited by a moderator:

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
I have disc brakes. I am not able to mount a gear on the left hand side of my rear wheel. Therefore, I need a shift kit.
so lose the rear rim , i off road like a dirtbike with only front disc brakes, im good. it all depends on how you feel tho.

my brother doesnt have disc brakes lol, just wait till his horseshoes pop off lol.

i ride with front disc only, if your having issues with adjusting front disc brakes then let me know and i can walk you through adjusting it.

...or get the shift kit, but i got a back rim, steel, 26 inch, at a used bike shop for 15$ no tax and it was trued... just make sure it doesnt have that little extra ring on the hub or it wont fit... trust me!.bf.

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
The rear disc brake assembly is located where the rear gear from the engine kit would need to mount. So I'm not able to use the engine kit on my bike without a shift kit.
yes you can.... change out the back tire... to an original no disc brake.

you wont fly over the handle bars if you understand how to clutch properly. braking is the same.... ease it.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I say stick to the plan and get a shift kit. Don't listen to these guys. Just think of how much better YOUR bike is going to be.

X Ray

Mar 20, 2014
Austin
yes you can.... change out the back tire... to an original no disc brake.
I am aware of that option, but it's not one I'm interested in if I have other options.

If the shift kit will fit (it may not), I'll use it........BUT if it doesn't, I'll probably wind up purchasing a wheel with a V-brake, and just use it.

Last edited: