Any Welders For Hire in L.A.? It's Almost Time.

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
mike 8 mike b has a very good bit of advice
took my 7 year old to the museum of science at exposition park near Figueroa last weekend had a construction exhibit -hands on -pertaining to earthquakes
about six 1X2 foot sections of sheet steel with a board screwed in on top
one was all parallel pieces and another had cross pieces making the square spaces triangles first one shook side to side the triangled one was solid as a rock -- triangles!!! reminds me of mid 60's saw and heard Buckminster Fuller (one of my heroes) at Hunter College NYC do a slide presentation- a life highlite =geodesic domes =dymaxian car
he had it down -triangles are natures strongest shape!!!! super duper glass threaded bondo or not I would put a few cross braces in you rear wheel section
best
I'm not arguing that triangles are stronger. All I'm saying is a bike, car, plane, boat or train only needs to be as strong as the maximum forces that they encounter. There is no need to overbuild anything unless it encounters forces that demand it.

The real question is how strong is what I already have and what can it possibly be compared to.......bicycle wise. Look at it. I never seen anything quite like it to even ponder a guess at how strong it is. What would you even compare it to? LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm guessing that the chainstay/seatsay combo allows for the use of gusset free, tiny diameter tubing seen in most modern bike frames. My frame will have compensation gussets and does not have tiny diameter tubing but has an integrated carrier rack. Are the two different designs equal in strength? I have no idea. LOL

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
mike

I think when all is said and done-- and much of what gets said is for the benefit of all thread followers in ideas and principle - you have a mighty tough frame going and I am prone to believe that it will do everything you want it to do just they way you have made it

best

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
mike

I think when all is said and done-- and much of what gets said is for the benefit of all thread followers in ideas and principle - you have a might tough frame going and I am prone to believe that it will do everything you want it to do just they way you have made it

best
Either way it will only be a few minutes to add 2 more tubes but I'm in no rush to. All welds are now bathed in fiberglass. I should have used my fingers to blend it all end like I did with the back half of the bike. Spatulas, spreaders, and putty knifes are absolutely worthless on a bike frame. laff

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
mike

I think when all is said and done-- and much of what gets said is for the benefit of all thread followers in ideas and principle - you have a mighty tough frame going and I am prone to believe that it will do everything you want it to do just they way you have made it

best
Everybody knows the strengths of a triangle rear vs a chainstay only bike but who has ever compared a triangle frame vs a parallelogram frame?

Who besides me is crazy enough to even build a parallelogram bike frame to do a comparison with? LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
you could always take the 405 freeway lol if you dont get killed
My bike should be able to do about 55 MPH when I'm done with it. I could sneak onto the 405 but it would have to be jam packed with cars. I doubt I could make it to Valencia though without being run over from behind,

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Sometimes they turn up on ebay, but you have to be quick.
Here in the USA our helmets have to be DOT Approved. I wish I could wear a skull cap like that but I know I'd get pulled over by the police. I think I'm gonna have enough to worry about when I finally stick a motor on my bike and start riding that thing.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Put those seat stays in. If you are planning to be going 50 MPH, you will need all the help you can get.

Yeah, you only weigh 190. That's 190 lbs butt force down on the seat. Which is transferred to the the rear wheel by the chain stays. The rear wheel is putting the same 190 lbs into the rack stays. But the rack stays do not go back to the seat, they torque up the rack and the weld from the rack to the seat tube. You are putting a really bad moment on the welds.

Now think about all this happening at 50 MPH when you run over 4 inch pot holes like you built the bike for in the first place.

Put in seat stays. The life you save may be your own.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Put those seat stays in. If you are planning to be going 50 MPH, you will need all the help you can get.

Yeah, you only weigh 190. That's 190 lbs butt force down on the seat. Which is transferred to the the rear wheel by the chain stays. The rear wheel is putting the same 190 lbs into the rack stays. But the rack stays do not go back to the seat, they torque up the rack and the weld from the rack to the seat tube. You are putting a really bad moment on the welds.

Now think about all this happening at 50 MPH when you run over 4 inch pot holes like you built the bike for in the first place.

Put in seat stays. The life you save may be your own.
LOL Yep you're right. You mean install conventional seat stays? I have seat stays already. They just take the scenic route to the seat tube is all. First the rear gussets are going on. No motor will be installed for a few months until I evaluate this frames geometry motorless first.