Alternate power sources to HTs

GoldenMotor.com

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I was surfing for alternative engines to use on a motorized bicycle. Mopeds!

Mopedarmy has a LOT of information, and an excellent photo gallery.
That is the source of this information.

IMO, it's generally better to use a power unit that parts are most likely to be available for... yet this is no guearantee !

The mopedarmy photo gallery listed over 130 brands contributed.
Out of the volunteered pics, I picked out these as the heavy hitters.
These are from riders who chose to post pics of their bikes, which is not a scientific method of determining availability of parts, but it might be an indication?

Puch 984
tomos 580
honda 559
motobecane 442
mobylette 206
vespa 407
garelli 348
peugeot 343
batavus 272
yamaha 184
sachs 170
solex 151
jawa 126
sparta 116
suzuki 110
kreidler 101

It's easy to guess where best availability might be...

Most have pedals, most are in the 50cc class, and many have a variator and/or centrifugal clutch.
Some have fabulous body and fender styles, others are simply bicycles.
Most are step-thru frames, yet some are motorcycles.

I have never heard of many of the brands mentioned, and presume any number of them were produced by a larger company and badged.

Sure hope this is helpful if someone might be making a decision.

Best
rc

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very interesting little bike you attached a photo of. I've never understood the preference for a high seat; I like mine low but whatever turns their crank. I found the right side kickstand interesting too. How come the left side was established as the norm when it comes to parking a bike?

Some very unusual engine offerings. All, I'm sure would require some fabrication and innovation but with the increasing unavailability of 2 stroke kits, they might offer some alternatives to ponder.
Thanks for sharing, RC
Tom

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
LOL the seat ain't as high as the bike is low. Realy great bike though. Same concept would be awesome on a 26 or 24"

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well I think I can answer part of that correctly, 2dr! lol

In equestrian horsemanship type stuff... you always mount your horse from the left. And I suppose that carried over to bikes and mcs... so, kickstand should be where it's easiest to operate. I guess??? :)

The little engine in the pic is dangling off'n 'dem rubber grommets just above the head. and when the vari-drive takes up on the belt, with rpm, the motor kinda picks upwards as it tightens. There's a spring that holds against it.
Other end of the belt is abt a 10" sheave, running on the opposite end of the pedal crank, free spinning, and it's got a gear with chain to the back sprocket.

Ingenious French persons! lol

I believe the company is out of business now, after yamaha bought them out and had a run for a few years. They might now be produced in India, and I heard a rumor of Turkey, also...

All told, it's fun stuff!
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The Tomos is quite good, K.

They have been building them for a loong time.
Before marketing under their own banner, they built under license for a number of the moped biggies...

Thing about it, though, a moped is a lot heavier than a motor assisted bicycle, and top speed will almost always end up around 30 for a stock one.
Many hundreds of dollars later you can go faster.

and the licensing schemes creep in quickly, both for the machine, and the operator.

Here's another pic of the action mechanism for the french one.
The Belt Wizard of Bourbon Street might like this pic for ideas. :)

Best
rc

Attachments

kolomootro

May 24, 2011
ohio
i did buy it and you are right
but i like it cause at 33 mph the engine isnt yelling like my chinese kit.
probobly beacuse of the 2 speeds

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well good for you, K!

Ur gonna have lotsa fun tooling around ahia at 30mph without lookin' over ur shoulder for the tax collector! lol
...put a milk crate on the luggage rack so u can pick up the treasures you find alongside the roadway!

At mopedarmy they have a wiki section that has lots of repair and performance info and u don't need to deal with the punked kids having fun in the open forum.

Just look for the tomos section.

Best
rc