considering the use of glow in the dark paint or wraping in glow in the dark vinyl

GoldenMotor.com

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere
Doing what I said in my title would be an interesting look and would allow me to be seen better after dark.

has anybody tried this.

I have seen cars that have been wrapped in glow in the dark film as well as motorcycles and there are paints that should hold up ok on a bike maybe requiring a clear coat in order to protect the paint better.

I thought I would ask here and see what people think, also I'm not sure what would be the best place the source materials that would be suitable for my needs.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Re: considering the use of glow in the dark paint or wraping in glow in the dark viny

I have seen a glow additive for clear coat an cannot remeber where , an have heard that the effect is not as strong as one might expect . My only concern is it may make you a bigger distraction =" accident magnet ". Maybe get a sample of the film wrap an give it a shot an make the call , it could be a cool look .
Gary

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
Re: considering the use of glow in the dark paint or wraping in glow in the dark viny

Dupli-Color used to make a pruduct that would glow for several hours after exposed to a strong light source, but it must be discontinued. This is as close to glow-in-the-dark I know of.

Dupli-Color :: Nite Lites

MHF

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

This is what I could find with a quick search, Stylin' Trucks presents: DupliColor Night Lights Reflective Paint - YouTube
It is reflective clear coat in a rattle can. This may work for what you're talking about but it isn't what I was thinking of when I searched. I saw, a year or 3 ago, a bicycle that had been painted with a reflective black paint and when the car headlights hit it in the dark it would shine like no nobodies business.
Maybe someone else with better search fu can find what I'm talking about, I just don't have the time right now.

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio

Glowbee Clear is a glow in the dark powder coating which is applied over a black base coat.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

Glowbee Clear is a glow in the dark powder coating which is applied over a black base coat.
thats the stuff right there I still believe they make it as a additive to spray on clear too.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere

how much paint do you think would be required to do a whole bike, because I have been pricing glow in the dark paints and it seems the long lasting kinds have a pretty high price tag.

Last edited:

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio

how much paint do you think would be required to do a whole bike, because I have been pricing glow in the dark paints and it seems the long lasting kinds have a pretty high price tag.
No idea in liquid but in powder, a bike frame would use less than a pound. It sells for around $20.00 per pound which is the minimum order. I'll get pricing when I call.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

on the average 1 pint of color or clear

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere

hmm, at a lot of the places I have been looking that much would cost about $100

the clear stuff sounds interesting if it exists in paint form at a more reasonable price. If not I think if I where to use it it would be for accents rather then a wole bike at that cost

Last edited:

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio

hmm, at a lot of the places I have been looking that much would cost about $100

the clear stuff sounds interesting if it exists in paint form at a more reasonable price. If not I think if I where to use it it would be for accents rather then a wole bike at that cost
Liquid paint & powder coating uses the same pigments so I would be amazed if it is not available in paint.

Joe_Knesek

Oct 22, 2011
Lyndhurst, Ohio

Unfortunately, the company that makes the Glowbee powder does not produce it in a liquid.

peppers

Jul 21, 2010
everywhere

thanks for your input everyone, I'm not gonna start for a little wile I think my final decision will be based on how much money I have when I get ready.