Hi from New Zealand

GoldenMotor.com

sarum

Jul 24, 2008
Thames, New Zealand
Hello I'm Sarum. My first motored bike was a MiniMotor in England 60 years ago, followed by a Cyclemotor and a belt drive Sampson. Old age, finance and eyesight problems encouraged me to abandon motoring and return to the push bike - the same I bought 30 years ago and I've ridden 1000's of miles in UK and europe.
Then I found that motored bikes are back again. So here I am 73 years old and still able to recall the thrill of that MiniMotor so long ago.
Mine's a 48cc HT. Are there any New Zealanders out there on this site.
Cheers Sarum

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
hey Sarum, welcome aboard
there are a lot of people here from all over the place, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had some fellow New Zealanders here as well

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome to the best international site for motorized bicycles there is.

New Zealanders? Yes, a couple so far...where are you guys?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
hi sarum and welcome! sounds like you have a ton of experience with bicycle motors and look forward to hearing more from you. glad to have you with us
:ride2:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hey Sarum, welcome to the forum. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. Glad you joined us..................................

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Hello I'm Sarum. My first motored bike was a MiniMotor in England 60 years ago, followed by a Cyclemotor and a belt drive Sampson. Old age, finance and eyesight problems encouraged me to abandon motoring and return to the push bike - the same I bought 30 years ago and I've ridden 1000's of miles in UK and europe.
Then I found that motored bikes are back again. So here I am 73 years old and still able to recall the thrill of that MiniMotor so long ago.
Mine's a 48cc HT. Are there any New Zealanders out there on this site.
Cheers Sarum
Hi,

I guessed from the nick you were from the UK - Sarum being the old name for salisbury I think...
I know of the Mini-motors although I have never ridden one but i am curious about the sampson machine you mention - I have never heard of one of those..

Have a look at the NACC Buzzing site - you'll recognise a few machines on there I should imagine.

Mine is a 32cc two stroke Golden Eagle belt drive kit

welcome to the forum :)

Jemma xx

PS: I know Sianelle on the motoredbiking forum is from NZ - shes most definately a Villiers girl :)

sarum

Jul 24, 2008
Thames, New Zealand
Thanks for your welcomes; and Jemma you're right - I was born in Salisbury all those years ago. The Sampson Motor Co: once made cars and after the war they produced what I think was called a Cyclaid. Belt drive seemed to me to be better than friction, and the motor was very reliable. I hope to see more motored bikes in NZ; we are all suffering from oil prices and the North Island climate is warmer than a good many places. Thames, where I live is on the edge of the Plains (Sianelle's address) so we may, metaphorically, bump into each other one day...........Sarum

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Thanks for your welcomes; and Jemma you're right - I was born in Salisbury all those years ago. The Sampson Motor Co: once made cars and after the war they produced what I think was called a Cyclaid. Belt drive seemed to me to be better than friction, and the motor was very reliable. I hope to see more motored bikes in NZ; we are all suffering from oil prices and the North Island climate is warmer than a good many places. Thames, where I live is on the edge of the Plains (Sianelle's address) so we may, metaphorically, bump into each other one day...........Sarum
Im familiar with the cyclaid - just didnt remember the name of the company without the model name. The Golden Eagle I have is the same idea as the cyclaid but updated. They do a 26,32,40 two stroke range with 26-32cc four strokes as well.

If you see a villiers powered trike buzzing in your direction there is a fair chance that is sianelle :)

Jemma xx

Cyclaid

Jun 25, 2012
Napier, New Zealand
Cyclemotoring in New Zealand

Sarum – My wife has just printed out for the information from your site. I am a cyclemotor collector and among other things produce the Register for Cyclaid in New Zealand. Do you still have your Cyclaid or do you know where any of these units are as what we do is collect the serial numbers of the engines and put other cyclemotorists in touch with each other? Geoffrey Clark

Cyclaid

Jun 25, 2012
Napier, New Zealand
Jemma - I note that when this information was first produced you were using a Golden Eagle. I have one of those with a 4-stroke Subaru engine. Do you have any experience with breaking spokes? ie, those spokes that are attached to the pulley for the final drive. I seem to be continuously breaking spokes no matter how careful I am and have had the wheel rebuilt a number of times by experts using the best spokes and nipples available. I checked that the rim is centred 100% correctly and have now used cable ties on the crosses on the spokes and am hopeful that this will be an improvement. I would appreciate any comments from yourself. Thank you. Geoffrey.

Cyclaid

Jun 25, 2012
Napier, New Zealand
Hi,

I guessed from the nick you were from the UK - Sarum being the old name for salisbury I think...
I know of the Mini-motors although I have never ridden one but i am curious about the sampson machine you mention - I have never heard of one of those..

Have a look at the NACC Buzzing site - you'll recognise a few machines on there I should imagine.

Mine is a 32cc two stroke Golden Eagle belt drive kit

welcome to the forum :)

Jemma xx

PS: I know Sianelle on the motoredbiking forum is from NZ - shes most definately a Villiers girl :)
Jemma - I note that when this information was first produced you were using a Golden Eagle. I have one of those with a 4-stroke Subaru engine. Do you have any experience with breaking spokes? ie, those spokes that are attached to the pulley for the final drive. I seem to be continuously breaking spokes no matter how careful I am and have had the wheel rebuilt a number of times by experts using the best spokes and nipples available. I checked that the rim is centred 100% correctly and have now used cable ties on the crosses on the spokes and am hopeful that this will be an improvement. I would appreciate any comments from yourself. Thank you. Geoffrey.