checking in from Western Ma.

GoldenMotor.com

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
hey just thought i'd pop in and say Hi
I am working on my frist motorized bicycle project.
I started with a Giant Boulder MTB frame and a 49cc china engine kit.
I want to give it an oldschool hotrod feel
so the plan as of right now is
paint the frame and gas tank primer grey with clearcoat flames
have the hubs and spokes powercoated white
have the rims powdercoated red
find a set of wide whitewalls that will fit mtb rims
working headlight and "stop" brakelight
header wrap on the pipe

on the "possible but not sure list"

build a set of brass knuckle peddles
build a set of bars out of chain
maybe tripple trees

any thoughts

pics as I progress

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
well, my project hit a few snags last night
the bottom tube on the Giant is far too wide to mount the engine without substantial modifications witch we found out after the rear sprocket was assembled at about 11:00 pm
so with a couple quick calls to friends looking for suitable donor bikes I was able to trade my friend Chris a beer and a chance to ride it when it was done for a complete 1960s or 1970s Columbia in working order

by 2:00 am we called it a night but we have
the sprocket mounted
engine in
controls on
cdi on
wiring done
tank on
I have to shim the rear tire because we are having some rubbing issues chain to frame wise

I have to grab a chain break and some fuel today
and with any luck I will have some youtube videos up

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Interesting, verrrry interesting. What kind of muffler clamp is that? My picture is a little fuzzy but I like the way the mount "stands off" from the frame. I'm not a big fan of drilling the frame for motor mounts.(c)Walter F.

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
that would have solved my problem

on to build day two
we got the bike running today I took about 3/4 of a mile on it to shake out any bugs, then my buddy who has been giving me a hand on the project took it out I have a video of him going passed the house on it.... about 5 seconds after I stopped taping I watched the rear end of the bike trying to get out from underneath rick (my friend) and then I heard a sliding noise, and then a POP and then the bike stopped moving., sensing that some thing MIGHT have failed I decided to go take a walk and look at the damage.

the chain tensioner slide and drove the chain off the rear sprocket twords the rim the chain got cought between the sprocket and the spokes locking the back tire destroying the rim/tire/tube.... oh well nobody got hurt so its off to the bike shop to see about a good used rim assembly when we stumbled across another free bike this one looks very road worthy so we chainged all the components over and will be testing tomorrow

I will have pics and videos on youtube shortly

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
the chain tensioner slide and drove the chain off the rear sprocket twords the rim the chain got cought between the sprocket and the spokes locking the back tire destroying the rim/tire/tube
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/chain-tension-help-99.html

Notice the screw and bolt that go threw the frame ( In red ) Norman used both but you could fust use a bolt or small sheet metal screw...This will keep the tensioner from going into the wheel and spoke's. Link for the thread is above.

:ride2:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Interesting, verrrry interesting. What kind of muffler clamp is that? My picture is a little fuzzy but I like the way the mount "stands off" from the frame. I'm not a big fan of drilling the frame for motor mounts.(c)Walter F.
Oppss, sorry :( that is not the pic of the muffler clamp....that is a tower standoff clamp...I've seen them at RadioShack I think..

I drilled my frame, going on year five and over 4,000 miles and have had no problems....

Here are some exsamples that I have found...it's the kinda like the clamp you would use for your old TV attenna on your roof.

Attachments

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
hey, thank you very much for the help I am glad I joined this forum, most of the time (on other forums for other hobbies) if you ask a question or have a problem, you get flamed off the board

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
You might have gotten flamed off because you're from "The Peoples Republic of Mass."? My brother a Connecticut Lawyer paid child support till children were 22 years old--his ex didn't have a good lawyer it's just Mass. law. Sucks huh? I'm sure there a some good folks trapped there, you could be one, WELKOMMEN Comrade!!! You are "dead on" with the old school hot-rod look, can't wait for pic's. (c) Walter F.

Hope I didn't offend, I'm just sayin'...

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
You might have gotten flamed off because you're from "The Peoples Republic of Mass."? My brother a Connecticut Lawyer paid child support till children were 22 years old--his ex didn't have a good lawyer it's just Mass. law. Sucks huh? I'm sure there a some good folks trapped there, you could be one, WELKOMMEN Comrade!!! You are "dead on" with the old school hot-rod look, can't wait for pic's. (c) Walter F.

Hope I didn't offend, I'm just sayin'...
you didn't offend at all just google search Shays regulators (where my screen name came from) and you will get an idea about how much I LOVE my home state but hate it's leaders and intrusive rules.(^)

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
Day 3 went Very well
we bolted through the frame for the tensioner and replaced the hardware with grade 8s

everything is on and we ran it for about 20 miles yesterday stopping to make sure nothing was falling off, and she is still tight. so I took it to work today (about 6 miles) and she ran perfectly, it started to rain half way here but I had the foresight to bring another set of clothes, so far I have had four of my neighbors stop buy and show currosity about building or having me build them one, I have sent them to the guy I purchased the kit from and to this site

thanks again for the help
Alan

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
well I promised Pictures

"Rev B"

"Rev C"

after I make sure it isn't going to rattle itself to pieces I will start with the customization

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
today didn't go so smooth
the fuel line they gave me with the kit apperently is not fuel compatible... so I went to the parts store and picked some up..... on the way there the rear engine mount pulled apart ( threads came out of the block)
so I am off to the hardware store for 1/4-20 grade 8 bolts and bits to build new engine mounts

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Ahh, the joys of motorized bicycling, just one adventure after another. We are like the guys building jalopy's right after World War II. These would come to be known as "Hot Rods", you older farts know what I'm talking about. As for our new buddy in Western Mass, Hey YANK, sometimes during a build the whole project needs a rest> STOP, get something cold to drink, smokem' if you gotem' take one of your "nervous pills" smell the roses. and in an hour everything looks different and things seem to go better. This technique requires practice but you will soon become accomplished at it!!! (c) Walter F.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I keep saying this over and over but if it is possible remove the tensioner and adjust the rear wheel for the motor side chain. If necessary move the tensioner to the bike side chain much less pressure on it there. I heard it before I built my first one and then I finally did it after I wrecked a wheel and the darn chain still would not stay on. I haven't had a bit of trouble since.

wmassregulators

Jun 19, 2008
ehhh no rest stops :D
I got new high quality fuel line, and some 1/4-20+1/4-28 hardened exhaust manifold studs and grade 8 nuts and washers

I re tapped the block and green industrial loctited the studs in place.

text is to machine a decent set of engine mount flanges.

I will have a reliable MB :ride2:

and I can definatly get the same feeling about us and the early rodders, really it is in the same spirit just on a smaller scale.

speaking of hot rods I need to find a 31 ford truck I have a flathead with all kinds of vintage power toys that needs a home and a 31 model A Deluxe roadster that needs a friend:)