why am i going so slow?

GoldenMotor.com

skyhawk217

Aug 24, 2009
Decatur, IL
i cannot seem to break into the 30mph club w any consistency whatsoever. i purchased a 66cc engine kit from Dax, and from there uprgraded the exhaust w an expansion chamber, ive swapped out stock intake for a HP air intake filter, ive put a 36 tooth sprocket on, this new build weighs a fraction of my 1st build (beach cruiser) and i still cannot reach or maintain 30mph w any consistency. cant do it w out wind or downhill either (d'oh!!!). any ideas would be great. -Skyhawk217 aka Moto Rob :-||
p.s. i live at 700ft elev in central IL

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
The engine is really not designed for any real torque. If you feel the need for performance just go and get an old motorcycle, there are hundreds of them on craigslist. I know you could get a real nice one at a reasonable price. If it's the challenge of getting the little engine to do more I can understand that too.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
How do you know your not going 30 mph????
It`s not really that easy to go 30 unless you are more experienced at building motors....Not saying your not, ok....Are you driving next to a car or something to tell how fast your going????I`ve done some pretty good port works and same stuff as you and CAN go 30 if I want to push it....I have a 44t sprocket....Whats your weight like????Plug looks good???? No air leaks????

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Align your drive train. I bet your engine sprocket and rear sprocket are not aligned with each other causing a little vibration. Engines tend to torque to the left. Sounds crazy, but take a look.

skyhawk217

Aug 24, 2009
Decatur, IL
How do you know your not going 30 mph????
It`s not really that easy to go 30 unless you are more experienced at building motors....Not saying your not, ok....Are you driving next to a car or something to tell how fast your going????I`ve done some pretty good port works and same stuff as you and CAN go 30 if I want to push it....I have a 44t sprocket....Whats your weight like????Plug looks good???? No air leaks????
the bike weighs 53lbs w 1L fuel. i run 4oz honda hp syn per gallon. i have a speedometer and also ride beside FileStyle and our speedometers read the same. Filestyle and another buddy can both run 37mph all day. my set up is nearly identical to theirs. my plug is pretty clean actually. there is a slightly oily film on bottom side of head (running rich?)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How many miles do you have on it? If it's not broken in and tuned properly, it won't go much more than about 25 mph.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
How many miles do you have on it? If it's not broken in and tuned properly, it won't go much more than about 25 mph.
X2.....
I just came in from a ride and was thinking of your deal too....
I hear ya, it should run at least 30 in a good tune....Mine is tuned the best I have ever had one of these tuned and at 30 my bike was going pretty dang fast by what my Bell speedo said, which coulda been 25 or 38 mph....But this is on a $70 cheapo beach cruiser....
How fast ARE you going???? Whats it doing once it tops out???? What pipe ya running??? Stock carb.??? Air filter??? I`m waiting for my Pipelyne Chamber to get here and then see waassuppp.... Right now it`s making all the power down in the lower rpm`s.... Is your`s just not reving out???
Hope I`m not buggin ya, just trying to help you get to the bottom of this,ok....
Keep in touch with us....

skyhawk217

Aug 24, 2009
Decatur, IL
i have about 700M on it. Break in period consisted of 7oz oil to 1g gas, did that for 3 tanks. i treated the engine like training in running (jog then sprint, repeat). cruise nice and easy then open it up for a short distance, then repeat. idk, im thinking of replacing carb and billet and re-looking at the exp chamber i have. i wanna go a 100!!! just kidding, but 30mph club would b great. until i can surpass Filestyle and hit 42-43 for the breifest moment, i cannot rest. haha

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
What tires are you running?

big dif between cruiser tires and more narrow...

I don't think anyone should really run more than 1.75 width if they want to roll-
unless you're off road or in gravel
and unless you really can't spend the money to switch- then do it as they wear out.

When you switch- you'll feel the dif peddling- the effect is even greater for the motor-