White wire charging power?

GoldenMotor.com

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
Can you charge a sla batterywith the white wire? Do you need to make a charging circut or some charging device. I am going to use it for a Norm light that I will soon buy. I wanted a steady light not one I have to go full throttle to make it bright.

Thanks, Brianpino.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
There are sooo many threads on this subject that if you so a search on it it will make your head spin!
With all due respect to you, a search can give far more detailed in information than I will here.
In short, yes it can be used as a charging source.
However:
1. It must be one of the (1 in 100 chance yours is one) properly wound magnetos; most are not properly wound and will not put out enough power to charge or even power a light for that matter.
2. You will need a 1/2 wave rectifier (4 watt diode).
3. In addition to #2, it is best to have a charge controller too.

A search on this subject will enlighten you beyond your wildest dreams.

Once again, I mean no disrespect in any way, shape or form towards you.
:)

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia
You will need a rectifying circuit (very easy 4 diodes, google for a pic). Its 6volt . I wired a big halogen spotlight with built in battery to mine and ended up losing spark, make sure you add a switch to turn the charge circuit off if needed to isolate problems. I have seen the photo's on here that show the white and blue wires aren't connected and they made sense, but that was my experience.
hope this helps

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You will need a rectifying circuit (very easy 4 diodes, google for a pic). Its 6volt . I wired a big halogen spotlight with built in battery to mine and ended up losing spark, make sure you add a switch to turn the charge circuit off if needed to isolate problems. I have seen the photo's on here that show the white and blue wires aren't connected and they made sense, but that was my experience.
hope this helps
A full wave rectifier ( 4 diodes) will kill your spark. Only a half wave will work, and you have to orient that single diode the correct way to enable the engine to run.

svc

Jan 10, 2009
sydney australia
Thanks for the correction. My electronics knowledge is quite limited , mostly from when i was a kid taking things apart to see how they worked :)

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
What is the output voltage and amperage of the mini-gen unit? Does anyone have any readings from one in use?
this is what it says Works with all 2 cycle motorized bicycles. Designed for common 6V/3W generator lights. Brighter lights (6V/5W) can be used for long inner city runs. This "mini-generator"

Homeless Bob

Feb 25, 2010
Louisiana
this is what it says...
Yeah... I've read their "literature", but I'd love to have some actual meter readings to plug into my circuit drawings and calculations.

Right now I'm using the 6V/3W/.5A figures but I'd really feel better knowing the actual numbers off a working coil... My circuit design ups the voltage considerably for the charging input and I want to make sure the components are robust enough to take the load.