Clutch grabs after engine warms up.

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I can park my bike engine idling with the button holding the clutch in and soon the darn thing starts to engage. Is this normal or do I need to choke a bit mor on the cable?zpt

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Yep it's new and I don't have anything but needle nose vice grips to stretch the cable...one thing I know I have wrong is the heat shield spring (The bigger one) I have on the wrong side between the lever and the standoff.

jug98

Sep 10, 2009
Maryland
It takes 200 ft. lbs. to disengage the clutch. Push the link arm in by hand until it hits hard. Adjust the cable to have tension at that point. Use a split shot weight from the tackle box behind the cable nut to help keep it from slipping. It takes alot of force to disengage the clutch. To see how much force is needed, take the teardrop cover off the drive gear and push in the clutch by hand until you see the clutch plate extend about 1/8". Then you will know how much force and adjustment is needed. Yeah, I thought if I pushed in any harder, it would break, but its all leverage from the clutch cam. You are also right about the heat is possibly transfering to the cable and expanding it to engage the clutch. It would be good to fine tune the cable after its hot. You would lose that slack from heat. I just dont like the idea of constant stretch on the cable when not in use. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well I solved my problem by 1. moving the heat shield spring where it belongs and 2. getting rid of the return spring on between the lever and standoff on the engine...much easier to pull and very much easier to set the screw on the cable.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Good idea to remove the return spring. The only purpose it serves is to make the clutch pull hard. To make the clutch pull even easier. Use a dremel and round off the rear edge of the flat that pushes the pin that disingages the clutch. Just round off the sharp edge a little so it slides easier on the pin. Makes a noticable difference and makes the clutch "feel" alot smoother.