what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

In the 50s and 60's those were called sex lights. They were mounted in the upper corners of the windshields of our cars and some times the back window as well.
Most guys went with the blue or green ones.

My buddy used them in his customized 1949 Mercury under the dash and under the seats as mood lighting but it never seemed to put the girl in the mood.
Of course it could have been Larry that was the problem also.

Steve.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

I can't belive how much smoother the bike rolls with the hub adapter and 415 chain. The chain noise had been greatly reduced as well. Next it sbp expansion pipe. Then it is on to either a full suspension mountian bike or cruiser but I can't find a gt lts frame anywhere.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Took the bike for a ride to WallyWorld. Stopped at Lowe's and priced some lumber....Godz...I know they sponsor Jimmy Johnson but do I have to pay for his next car? Sticker shock almost killed me :p

Time to ride home.. brrrrrr...chug.chug.chug....noooo... chugchugchug....

These things get great mileage but they still need to be fueled :-|| The mile walk will remind me to check next time....wee.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

Heh, I usually refuse to carry a cell phone....I'm reconsidering that stand ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

LOL, ayup. peddled home a bunch of times, out of gas. Very often after having just told some one about my exceptional mileage.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

LOL I hear ya there Dan. It looks even worse when you have a large tank by typical MaB standards I think. I get a lot of comments on my 1.25 gallon aluminum hemorrhoid! laff

I swore I added fuel last week...my bike usually takes $2 every 7-10 days. I put $2.50 in it tonight and tank is only half full atm! I think I missed a week...

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA

Rode the bike a bit yesterday evening, nice ride at almost dusk. Muffler started to come loose as I forgot to check the nuts holding it on (Note: need to get high temp threadlock) and had to ride home with it dangling and only nut partially holding it to the bike. Nice and loud!

I ran out of gas when I first started riding, guess I was too excited to fill with gas, luckily it was only in my neighborhood so only about 1/2 mile. On the gas note I did find a local place to buy ethanol free gas from but haven't started to use it yet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Still can't find ethanol free gas here! Gonna try an airport but frankly, am sure I am gonna annoy some one and alarm them. Big silly helmet and on a MB. Kinda look like I am an eccentric with explosive shoes or under clothing. Add trying to buy aviation fuel to that, am sure some one will be making some phone calls. (LOL, "A Hartford man was detained today at Brainard field. He was armed with a motorized bicycle and a helmet. ..." Snicker)

Muffler sealer works great and is cheaper DarkHawk. I've taken to using it any where you would use loctight. Think its 2 or 3 bucks at any hardware store for a good sized tube. Lasts me over a yr and am a chronic builder. Once they freeze though, turns almost useless.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Still can't find ethanol free gas here! Gonna try an airport but frankly, am sure I am gonna annoy some one and alarm them.
Every marina I have heard of sells ethanol free gas. It seems that ethanol blended gas ruins fuel systems in carbureted boat engines. Due to that being a safety factor when a boat is far off shore, the use of ethanol free gas is wholeheartedly encouraged and easily available.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

I finish this gallon of fuel and I'm switching to Trick raceing gas. I'm a mile as the crow flies from a station that has it in a pump. That and switching to an oil made for air-cooled 2-strokes. My compression is really high so I'm thinking of adding the minimal amount of Klotz Nitromethane to the mix. Not too much for power, more for the octane raising factor :)

The marinas here arn't too far but the closest is over a hill, a very steep, long hill. A gut-busting, motor wrecking SOB of a hill. I get my fuel and I have the other side of that same hill to climb :p I'm planning a video of the ride from the bottom at Sandy Point, up past Lucky Peak Dam and on up to Hill Top then the other side climb, Robie Creek Bridge to Hill Top. I'll have my new motor when I try this. I expect to melt down the one I use ;)

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Every marina I have heard of sells ethanol free gas. It seems that ethanol blended gas ruins fuel systems in carbureted boat engines. Due to that being a safety factor when a boat is far off shore, the use of ethanol free gas is wholeheartedly encouraged and easily available.
After years of boating all I can to tell you about Boat Marina gas prices is they are usually as much as a $1 or more a gallon than local station prices.
It's that whole 'captive audience' thing.

I got the drive train mounted in my NuVinci Cadillac build today.

Not bad considering the motor and JS kit were still in their boxes when I started this morning I thought. I have never pulled of both parts in a single day before.

Other than the common port matching of the stock intake and exhaust pipes she is just a stock legal 48cc 2010 Skyhawk motor wise.
I must admit I am truly impressed with the bike however.
This is no Wally World Huffy and I don't mean the NuVinci Hub and Disc Brake either, I mean things like the frame, BB, headset, seat, even the tires.

I used Sick Bikes new ver 2 Jackshaft and front mounts and the unit dropped right in almost perfect.

It is level, but I had to use a couple of their included spacers so the right side chain would clear the bottom of the motor or I would have mounted it even lower, but that's OK, there is still plenty of room in the middle.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

After years of boating all I can to tell you about Boat Marina gas prices is they are usually as much as a $1 or more a gallon than local station prices.
For some clarity on the boat/ethanol issue, check this: Yamaha Outboard FAQs

I unno about the west coast GearNut, but I can assure you on the east coast that if they tell you it's "ethanol free" at a marina fueling station - they're lying. Most if not all marinas get their fuel from exactly the same trucks that supply the local gas stations - so, if those gas stations don't have ethanol free fuel then the marinas wouldn't have it either - and if the gas stations did have it, you'd obv not need to pay the additional price at the marina heh

KCvale - while yer right about price gouging (if anything it's far worse than a dollar) there is the fact they do have to pay additional transport costs and storage fees (licensing & insurance etc) so... if it was jus' a dollar more I'd be OK w/it... sadly, they really do get ya on that "captive audience" convenience thing... marinas are a total ripoff and should be avoided :rolleyes:

Question tho, how many marinas do ya have in Arizona o_O :p

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

I finish this gallon of fuel and I'm switching to Trick raceing gas. I'm a mile as the crow flies from a station that has it in a pump. That and switching to an oil made for air-cooled 2-strokes. My compression is really high so I'm thinking of adding the minimal amount of Klotz Nitromethane to the mix. Not too much for power, more for the octane raising factor :)

The marinas here arn't too far but the closest is over a hill, a very steep, long hill. A gut-busting, motor wrecking SOB of a hill. I get my fuel and I have the other side of that same hill to climb :p I'm planning a video of the ride from the bottom at Sandy Point, up past Lucky Peak Dam and on up to Hill Top then the other side climb, Robie Creek Bridge to Hill Top. I'll have my new motor when I try this. I expect to melt down the one I use ;)
How do you think the Trick Race fuel is going to work for you cause i have a pump less then 1/2mile from my house but don't know if it would be good to run or if it worth the money for these china girls.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona

I got the drive train mounted in my NuVinci Cadillac build today.

Not bad considering the motor and JS kit were still in their boxes when I started this morning I thought. I have never pulled of both parts in a single day before.

Other than the common port matching of the stock intake and exhaust pipes she is just a stock legal 48cc 2010 Skyhawk motor wise.
I must admit I am truly impressed with the bike however.
This is no Wally World Huffy and I don't mean the NuVinci Hub and Disc Brake either, I mean things like the frame, BB, headset, seat, even the tires.

I used Sick Bikes new ver 2 Jackshaft and front mounts and the unit dropped right in almost perfect.

It is level, but I had to use a couple of their included spacers so the right side chain would clear the bottom of the motor or I would have mounted it even lower, but that's OK, there is still plenty of room in the middle.
That bike looks awesome can't wait to see it finished. I have a cheapy walmart cranbrook frame mb but it don't look as good as that. Sorry for the bike rack in the way.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

KCvale -
Question tho, how many marinas do ya have in Arizona o_O :p
Well, in the Phoenix area 5. There is Lake Pleasant and Bartlett Lake to the North, Saguaro, Canyon, and Roosevelt Lakes to the South East and I've boated them all many a time.

But for all of AZ many more, you have all the marina's along the Colorado River. In AZ it starts at Lake Powell before going through the Grand Canyon and down to many big places like Laughlin and Lake Havasu. I've boated all of them too, in fact the wife and I took this rig to lake Powell for our honeymoon 26 years ago ;-}

I do agree there are some justifications for the price of marina fuel, all of these lakes are drinking water sources and a big fuel spill would be a disaster so it costs a fortune to build and maintain a marina on a lake, but still, any smart boater takes all he can with him before he leaves town ;-}

Sorry for staying off topic but this hit a 'nostalgia button' in me.
It seems like a lifetime ago, but it was just half a lifetime ago that boating was my passion.

This is my son and I at the London Bridge on lake Havasu when he was just a baby.

He will be 21 in a couple of months.

Thanks for letting me ramble guys, now back to your regularly scheduled topic ;-}