what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I cleared some space, put down a tarp, stood up my bike, layed out my parts...
and took this picture before going to bed.

Also I did this all last night.
Be carefull with that seat. those were built for kids and an adult bouncing around on it at 30mph WILL snap it off where the post is welded tothe bottom. I'v built at least 10 on this frame, Other than that, they ride pretty stiff. TOO stiff for this old man anyway.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Be carefull with that seat. those were built for kids and an adult bouncing around on it at 30mph WILL snap it off where the post is welded tothe bottom. I'v built at least 10 on this frame, Other than that, they ride pretty stiff. TOO stiff for this old man anyway.
thanks for the tip!
I've been rolling ideas about the seat in my head since I got the bike (been riding it most of the fall sans motor)

as of now plan A is get a coil spring that fits around the seat post and attach it to the frame, then the seat itself, El-Cheapo sprung seat.

When that doesn't work plan B is a sprung post, sprung sissy bar, and a banana seat.

Either way, 30MPH is a tad optimistic, if I am lucky it will do fifteen!
if it does manage speeds like that my primary concern immediately becomes the Vee-Brakes, I already almost ran into traffic in the rain once...

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I've been cobbling together a light system Taken mostly from cannibalized flashlights to keep me safe at night, so far very basic and sadly all my lights have their own switches still :(
The other night I went to toggle the switch I've got poking out of the Tail light and discovered one of the solder connections had broken. Oh well I though Ill fix it tomorrow. Next day rolls around and Its just not there anymore :O
Guess I gave it too good a bounce on the way back.
Now half an hour before I need to leave for work I'm finally getting around to soldering a Toggle switch Bamboozled off of some other electronic board.

I need to give myself a kick in the rear and actually wire all this stuff up to the handlebar switch I picked up for that very reason But I'm still missing a bunch of parts for what I want to wire up and I want to knock it out in one go.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
I put my sprocket adapter on the bike today, took a pic but I'm gonna save it for when I start a thread.

Semaj, the lens and pod you are using look really nice, should be super visible once it's set up. also your work bench has me as greener than WheelBenders bike with envy!

Wheelbender6, the spring on that shock is basically what i am looking for, but slipped over the seat post, attaching it at both ends will be the hard part. once the bike is moving again I plan on rolling around some junkyards for something to use (I don't wanna buy a new shock just to rip it apart) my hope is that the El-Cheapo method will work just well enough to offset it's near zero cost.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Thank you GoreWound! Thats the Map of the Badab sector ive got under glass, Kepps my desk looking nice.

Got to the store today and discovered my tail light needed not to be Toggled to the off position as it was already not on.
Tuns out the open battery pack loosely taped into the motorcycle tail light shell was not going to cover tail lighting as the batteries seem prone to bouncing out whenever I ride over the railroad tracks or bumpy patches
So I combined my other hobby with this one and secured the batteries with an odd sharp screw and some plasticard recycled from a shell gift card

Still only a patch to what I hope is a much more sophisticated system in the near future

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You could rig up something to support the rear of the seat. I used a pocket rocket shock.
That's a cool idea... I used a go kart front shock for my front suspension since it was originally one of those polymer type shocks and I wanted something that wouldn't melt with age, and a true oil dampped shock.
For your seat idea, that would be a very viable alternative for bikes without rear suspension both for ride comfort and to take most the shock load off the frame.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I put my sprocket adapter on the bike today, took a pic but I'm gonna save it for when I start a thread.

Semaj, the lens and pod you are using look really nice, should be super visible once it's set up. also your work bench has me as greener than WheelBenders bike with envy!

Wheelbender6, the spring on that shock is basically what i am looking for, but slipped over the seat post, attaching it at both ends will be the hard part. once the bike is moving again I plan on rolling around some junkyards for something to use (I don't wanna buy a new shock just to rip it apart) my hope is that the El-Cheapo method will work just well enough to offset it's near zero cost.
Check these out just for fun http://www.scooterparts4less.com/ALL_Shocks.htm ............Curt

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Excellent link Indeed... Bookmarked here too.
My front end uses a modified go kart shock, modified in the sense that I had to drill the bottom eye hole out to 5/8" and the top hole to 1/2", then use a MTB spring to get the right spring rate. Looking at the availability on that site they might just have one with the right spring rate and length pre made, but I do see some that would work if I make a swing arm and dual shock setup for the rear... Now you got me thinking again :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yep good link, I have a Roketa 150cc scooter and when I was working on it and doing some mods to carb ignition and cvt I found many scooter parts sites, its unreal just how much scooter stuff is out there.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Gues i should have posted it a long time ago. Just thought everyone knew about it,Do now. I will pop it in the general spot also............Curt

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Since I'm really happy with the way mine looks, runs, and rides now it's time to start thinking up a paint scheme so today when I was ordering parts for customer's cars I threw in an order of my own for some paint... Next thing to do from here is to strip the bike all the way down to the frame, finish a few welds on the frame it's self, then strip off all the original paint and shoot on a coat of primer and begin the painting process. For now I'm keeping the color scheme to myself, but you can be assured, it will look as good as it runs next time I take pics of it.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Took the bike on another short run this morning before opening up shop... just down the street about 1/2 mile to get some breakfast, but the real reason for the ride was because I wanted to see what top speed I could hit since it hit 35 mph last week. This morning's run was even better at 38mph on the GPS on flat, level pavement.
I'm still using the 44 tooth rear sprocket, and I got a standard NT carb on it right now while the engine is breaking in. I'm not quite half way thru my second tank of gas yet so the engine is still a bit tight and the rings are just starting to seat.

I usually don't have a lot of time to just go cruising on this just yet so at the rate I'm going it should be broken in by late January... as long as I can take it out for a ride every morning to my usual places up the street.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I've seen that hydrophobic coating stuff Rustoleum and a few other companies sell... I'm not sure how it would hold up because it will eventually wear off, but if you ride where you have to deal with mud puddles etc, then it would make clean up a breeze... That stuff works great on dirtbike tires when the trails get wet and muddy since pretty much nothing can stick to it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
sucked about 3 tablespoons of water out of gas tank yesterday - not sure if was from condensation over time or the huge rains lately, but my vacuum brake bleeder got down into the back corners nicely

no more intermittent sputter/chug when going uphill