View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: acme lady schwinn more pics

Originally Posted by camlifter View Post
silverbear, thats a very cool bike you've got there, i love it. the tank on mine is from an old chain saw. the only draw back to the girls bikes is you have to be more creative with the cable routing, don't have the top tank or bar to hide things. a few more examples like ours and maybe people will stop over looking the girls bikes.
Thank you for the compliment. I'm partial to Schwinns and have a lustful heart for old Elgins. Just can't really afford them. I have a step through 1934 Elgin four star with a pancake electric motor up front and have taken things apart now with the thought of putting a gas motor on it instead. The step through bikes have more of a problem in mounting unless that support bar is low enough and yes, you do need to be creative in routing cables and wiring. Many of the more modern step throughs (goil's bikes) require mounting the engine too high for my taste, and yes it puts the exhaust tip very close to your feet. So in my mind, the old bikes are a good choice if the frame is right. Another plus is that vintage girls bikes sell for less than men's bikes. Some of the girl's bikes from back when are very neat and generally the frames on both men's and women's bikes were heavier than today's bikes. I think you did a great job on your restoration. Come winter I'd like to take the one in my pictures apart and give it a new paint job, replace the banged up old fenders and get a new un rusty handle bar.
Someday when I grow up I'll probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...