View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Adding a Front Brake...advice, suggestions, please

All I have right now is a rear coaster brake and I want to add something on the front. I first ran into problems with finding a place on the handle bars for the additional lever. (I saw the dual-pull ones in another thread but I don't want the clutch and brake to operate together.) Is there another form of dual-lever that mounts as one but pulls separately? (two levers, one mount)

My next issue was mounting the caliper brake system. The stem already had the center hole so I assumed there'd be no fit problems. Due to the nature of my fork, I had to space the brakes really far forward with a bunch of washers (which I am not at all happy with). Also, there isn't a lot of room between the fork and rim for the shoes to have full clearance or even the calipers to open fully. And I'm thinking as soon as I brake the first time, all the paint on the rim will come off.

Maybe a disk brake is a better solution? Will that work on this hub/frame setup?
Also, anyone have a guess at what year and make this frame is? Best I've been able to get is 1960s Huffy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2107.jpg (224.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2103.jpg (236.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2101.jpg (189.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2105.jpg (192.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2099.jpg (186.0 KB, 101 views)