View Single Post
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Working on Frames Question

Brazing is neat and clean if you have purchased pre-made joints. Brazing can fatigue and crack however, as it is just gripping the surface of things being joined together and is becoming the "glue" so to speak.

I Say Weld It.
MIG (Metal Inert Gas) - GMAW / FCAW (gas or flux core) is what I recommend if you can not afford a TIG. This method joins to pieces of steel with wire fed through a gun and arc welded. The key here is being able to penetrate the thickness of the two metals with the proper machine, thus fusing the two pieces together as if they were one unit. Metal up to 1/4" can be handled in a single pass just fine by almost any 110volt small mig welder. Another key is gun distance, angle, and speed. Mig welding, as any welding, takes practice. I use a 220 volt, 180 amp welder on my frames and I do not burn through, and I get the welding area "red hot" as well. A big mistake when welding is not getting good penetration into the materials to be joined. Although you can make a weld look pretty with the bead just sitting on top of the material, I could probably hit it with my hammer and brake the joint like a candy cane. You know when you have good penetration on a test weld if you can beat the crap out of the piece you've joined together, and it bends and deforms the piece to being almost unrecognizable; but the joint you welded never let go.

My Production Bobber Build Up
"Everything Is Possible...If You Can See Beyond The Invisible"

Last edited by BrettMavriK; 07-07-2009 at 07:11 PM.