View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: new to this, hoped for some advice...

Originally Posted by 13013 View Post
cool thanks guys! i really wanted to hear that aluminum frames are used... i don't know what you mean about centrifugal clutch, technocyclist... as i said i'm totally new, but what kind of clutch do they come with?
Most 2 stroke engine kits come with a manual clutch. That means you need to squeeze a handlebar mounted lever to disengage the clutch. There are some that can be ordered with a centrifugal clutch. This type engages as engine RPMs increase with no action from the rider. The jury is still out on the reliability of this type of clutch for the 2 stroke engines although they are in wide use with the 4 stroke motors. The notorious stiffness of the kit supplied clutch lever can be addressed in several ways. One of the simplest is to make sure the cable has no sharp bends or kinks. Also you can lubricate the cable so it slides more easily inside the sheath. There is a modification that can be done to the clutch actuator mechanism that will improve the mechanical action and there is at least one vendor who sells an upgraded clutch actuator that decreasese the force needed to disengage the clutch. My suggestion would be to do the two simplest things first and let your wife try her clutch. If she finds it too hard to pull then progress to the other options mentioned.
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"