Thread: My frame broke.
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: My frame broke.

Couldn't get online for almost two weeks because of phone service. I'll hold my tongue in case some member works for AT&T.

The old girl's been back on the road a while now. Frame welded and repainted. New beastly mount. All OK. I said I would take pics, and since I took em, I guess I'll post em.

Pic 1: Old mounts. I'll call them pivot mounts since the motor actually is bolted to a steel plate and the motor and outboard bearing pivot together. These old pivot mounts show a bolt and nuts going through them just to hold them in the original orientation for laying out the measurements of the new mount. Old mounts were clamped to frame seat stays with 4 hose clamps. (Only using 2 in pic for illustration). The hose clamp system worked fine, but I was never really "proud" of it.

Pic 2: Size up. Block of aluminum with holes drilled at same angle as seat stays. Getting the spacing and (especially) angle right was tricky. I have a cheap benchtop drill press and 10$ calipers.

I'm going to upload now and make multiple posts because I still don't trust this phone connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old mounts.jpg (90.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg size up.jpg (74.0 KB, 78 views)