View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: heres how to break in your engine faster

Originally Posted by Clotho View Post

Break in Secrets

There is actually 2 stages of breaking in a 2 stroke bicycle motor in my opinion. There is the first 40km or so that are crucial. This is where the rings are seated. The other break in point comes many hundreds of kilometers later. At some point you will notice that the engine is running smooth and strong. Stronger than when it was new. This is the second break in point and you want it to happen many hundreds of kilometers later. On my last motor I think I noticed this at about the 700km mark. The longer it takes to reach this point means the longer the engine is likely to run before it will require rebuilding.

I've been thinking the same way. So I decided to try each method myself, I figure these engines are cheap enough to experiment on. Which is why on my newest engine I'm trying a combo of the break in that thread for the first bit, then vary the throttle like the other method. At 1k miles I'll tear each down too see for myself.
Sun Tzu: To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself.

Last edited by Shadeslay; 06-27-2009 at 09:03 AM.