View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Finfan's Avatar
Finfan Finfan is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ USA
Posts: 871
Default The problem and the solution.

The problem was that the wires from the CDI and the engine were just a hair too short and had started separating on me making the bike unreliable. I thought I would show how I fixed it as one possibility. Please note that I worked in electronics for a number of years so I had the stuff on hand to color code the wire and go overboard on the details. I chose to use wire nuts for the connection since they are easily removable should I ever have to take it apart again.

1. Solder some extra wire onto one side (I chose the engine side). Note that you should make the extensions extra long. It is easier to cut the wire back than to stretch it!.

2. Insulate the solder joints. Electrical tape will work, but since I had it on hand I used shrink tubing.

3. Use some small wire nuts to secure the wires together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m_IMG_0278.jpg (48.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg m_IMG_0279.jpg (49.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg m_IMG_0280.jpg (55.5 KB, 34 views)
If it can't be broken I'll find a way!


I'm not lost, I'm exploring!
Reply With Quote