View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Ontario Bike Engine Owners

Originally Posted by Rockenstein View Post
Yes the Ontario HTA pretty much has everything covered with this line...

"and any other vehicle propelled or driven otherwise than by muscular power"

Where the confusion starts for everyone concerned is that if a bicycle, fitted with a motor of any kind, is technically still a bicycle which cannot be registered with the MTO what do you do? Even with the pilot project e bikes cannot be registered because the MTO says "For the duration of the pilot, electric bicycles will be treated as bicycles". So if you cannot register a powered bicycle of any kind with the MTO, buy insurance etc etc what repercussions do we face for using one? I called a couple lawyers a while back and they said it's highly unlikely any charges would get far given that registration, insurance and all that other good stuff is not readily available for a powered bicycle.
Pretty much. You get a fine you simply fight it and say there is no means to register the bike and if there was you would obviously. The cops in Ottawa leave me alone as long as I have a helmet on I have no had one bother me. They generally don't care. As long as your not riping down the road @ like 50km/h they should leave you alone. However there is always that one cop who will decide to be a jerk. The way I figure is if enough of us are out there and seen and enough get fines and fight it then it will force MTO to take a look at these. Maybe in a few years Canadian tire will come out with some version of these things. You never know really.