View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Smile Re: 6 v lighting systems

Originally Posted by rmeloy34 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am at the conclusion that most bicycle lights that are easily affordable really stink .
with that said ....Those of you who are running home made lights are you running off your engine or an onboard battery?
I found some nice chrome bullet shaped lights at Wallmart.They are actually for the rollbar on a pickup but you get a pair for about 15.00,a little modification and you have a nice set of lamps.
If you want to try you'll need some old flashlight lenses because the 12 v ones are a contained bulb.
a little red tape for the rear,and for now I am containing the bulbs with a piece of fuel line and a little tape untill I feel like messing with it again......Nice lights ...Cheap too!
I just want to know what peoples experience has been with running lights off of the Magneto,Id love to get rid of the drycell battery!
I used a tractor light or implement light that I bought from WalMart for under $12.00. It's very bright with a 40 watt bulb and I powered it with a 12volt 4.5 amp gel battery for an alarm system. It will last 2-3 hours before it needs to be charged from a trickle charger overnight. I made a battery box from aluminum
project boxes available from most electronic stores. I guarantee you that it will be sufficient for night riding. see pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0635.jpg (186.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0637.jpg (192.3 KB, 40 views)