View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: What have I done?!?!

It was great meeting Jim and having his expertise on the build, Paul! I would have had a lot more challenges without him and his ingenuity in overcoming my limited tools and workspace.

The bike is still only really about halfway to where I want it as of now. Evan and I plan to build a lighting system from scratch to work off the white wire (sorry Norm!), and I want a fresh Bottom Bracket as the one in there is from the mesozoic era, as well as better brakes. I am running a V-brake up front and a Cantilever in the rear, they pull slightly different amounts of cable so it is hard to adjust both to the level of responsiveness I want right now. Other than the lighting though, the rest is just continuing to clean and adjust the bike, and chain tension. Yesterday I had the whole shift kit off the bike and Evan helped me lock the system down by improvising a slightly different arrangement for pre-loading and maintaining the placement of the bearings and the motor drive sprocket. I have to add a couple fender washers to the outside of the now drilled and tapped Jack drive spindle, and install the SBP chain tensioner and I believe we will have the desired stability. The stock kit is good, but I ride a lot and at a reasonably vigorous pace, so the extra precautions seemed like a good idea. Let me know what you think of our improvements.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.JPG (135.3 KB, 47 views)

1978 Vespa Grande, 1984 JDM Honda Runaway
Firebelly Built 1985 Schwinn Sierra HT 67cc W/ Puch 50cc Cylinder Head, SBP Shift Kit, Pypelyne Exhaust, JNM Velocity Stack and Hi Flow Filter