View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: What have I done?!?!

I too love the classic MTB bars, they're identical to my very first MTB from way back in 1983, a Ross Force One.

NO pics just yet, because all I had yesterday with me was my phone camera, but progress has been made.

I'm very lucky to have Evan from Fire Belly Cycles as a friend, he came down to my shop yesterday morning and we took the motor over to his machine shop where we did a little work on the engine cosmetically, shaped the inside radius of the front engine mount to match my bikes downtube diameter perfectly, and he milled a few thousandths off the head. Evan's a great guy and has an eye for detail, the mounting will look good and be solid when we are through. Evan has a few ideas for other things we want to incorporate into this build which I will save for later- suffice to say there are some cool things we plan to do with this bike in due time.

The awesomeness does not end there, however! Evan and I were stoked to be joined by Jim from Sick Bike Parts for part of this build. Jim emailed me yesterday offering up his help in making sure I got the kit on with no troubles. As some of you may know, I live in Seattle. Jim lives in Bellingham, a couple solid hours north of us on I-5. He came through around noon and spent the better part of the day working on my bike with limited tools, and me as his scatterbrained assistant. By the time Jim left, we had the shifter kit installed, and the motor mounted up in the frame. I'm hoping that with some steady effort today I may even be able to test fire this bike by this evening.

Jim and Evan are both awesome guys, and it is a pleasure and an honor to have that kind of help in getting this done right.

I can't fail to mention this last thing- I've been squirrelling away all my parts and goodies and hiding them from my Ever faithful girl, Nicole. I came clean this morning to her, and got slapped, poked, pinched, and yelled at for a while, but she eventually forgave me because she usually assumes I'm up to no good, and she's usually right! I really am a lucky guy- I think some of us get kicked to the curb for these kind of shennanigans!

Thanks to everyone paying attention to this thread, and showing interest in my project. Better pics to follow but I guess I can't resist giving you a sneak peek now..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schwinn MB1.jpg (514.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Evan&Jim.jpg (183.5 KB, 57 views)

1978 Vespa Grande, 1984 JDM Honda Runaway
Firebelly Built 1985 Schwinn Sierra HT 67cc W/ Puch 50cc Cylinder Head, SBP Shift Kit, Pypelyne Exhaust, JNM Velocity Stack and Hi Flow Filter

Last edited by huckersteve; 04-26-2009 at 11:17 AM.