View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: SRAM front drum brake hub

Well Dan & Tom, here's the latest revision with the block and tackle (luff standard 3:1 ratio)
which should be able to draw the distance (using the Long Pull lever) to engage the brake and
amplify the exerted hand lever pressure to render formibable front braking. (the left cable
of the two pulleys continues into the cable housing and on to the brake lever and is thus "rigged to
advantage" where the lower pulley moves upwards to haul the chain wrapped around the brake sprocket to apply the braking) If I can muster 20 lbs of grip with my right hand, then 60 lbs of pressure should be exerted on the coaster brake.

Remember this is just quick sketching but it gets the idea across. When it would be in finished
form it could look different from this. But it's enough to help visualize what I'm talking about.

What I like most about that ships telegraph you posted Dan is that photo. I've got a speedo off
a stationary exercise bike that was scrapped and I'd like to paint the face to look similar to it.
Perhaps replace the needle with one that lookd more from that period. (presently it's black faced
with green letters & numbers with an orange needle) Which looks quite 80's.

Dan, If you're interested in iPhoto4 give me an IM and I'll talk to you about it. There are
plenty of good free Photo & Graphics Ediotors that can do the same. Once you've done a few
drawings with it and get the knack for it, then it becomes simple enough to use.

But here's the sketch below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZzFrontDrumCP2.JPG (56.6 KB, 117 views)