View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Do I want to build motorbikes?

Of course you could make xtra money from this hobby, the first day I rode my very first build (about a month ago) I had 2 people ask me "how much" since I was not ready to part with it I declined any offer.

But my guess is a person at your age or mine (45) would be able to sell these motorized bicycle on the side for some xtra cash flow. If you are worried about a lawsuit , then maybe you dont want to take the "risk" of selling these whole sale, maybe just one or two per month . I think Americans fear of the "lawsuit" should not stop us from enjoying a fine hobby like this one. You may want to contact a lawyer first and have him make up a legal form for your customers to sign when they purchase it an have them "assume" all risks with buying this new build.

But as an idea if I were in your shoes and this being a hobby not a "job" , Just browse garage sales and the want ad's and look for very very cheap bikes and go with the $119 2 stroke from . Keep your price low and you will get customers, and as time goes on and you develop a clientele for this market then you can make better and more elaborate builds for more money.

Here is how i personally would price my bike, I figure it takes about 2-4 hours to complete a simple build the charge would be $100 for that . the motor plus shipping is around $145. you can either use a free or cheap bike you locate and add the price you pay for the bike into the final cost.

So to sum it up, you would make approx. 100-175 per build plus 100 for your time = max $275 to sell it , and I pocket $100 per sale . So just keep the price low , or you could go another way and if someone just has there own bike you add just the motor and tell them it will cost them w/e the motor price is plus $100 for your time to install it.

If you have the cash on hand , you can also make these cheaper by finding a site that will sell these 2 strokers in bulk . I found one site that would sell 10 complete kits for $995 plus shipping.

good luck in your retirement and most importantly have some fun with this hobby, hope this lengthy response helped you out
For when it is to rainy and cold outside to play with my bike .
I go here