View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
HoughMade's Avatar
HoughMade HoughMade is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 624
Default Re: who has a moped license?

Every state can set its own laws about whether a license is required, whether it is a moped or not and what in a motorcycle.

For instance, in Indiana, if it is over 50ccs, it is a motorcycle- not a moped, a motorcycle. This includes scooters, Whizzers, all the way up to a Boss Hoss with a 50. It must have all required motorcycle equipment and you will need a motorcycle endorsement on your license.

If it is under 50ccs, has a transmission that does not require shifting, has 2hp or under and has a design speed of 25 mph or less, it is considered a motorized bicycle- no license is required (operator or registration), but a rider must be at least 15 years old and have a state I.D. card if they do not have a driver's license. This includes an scooter or moped or any 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle under 50 ccs. If a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle does not meet these requirements, it is a motorcycle.

Many states may have similar requirements, but no one can accurately say that all states do this, or all states do that.

I believe that compliance with all applicable laws and registration when required is a good thing.
29/10ths cubic inches of raw power.
HoughMade at
Reply With Quote