View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Talking Re: 1st MB paint job

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Lookin' awesome Ozzy. How did you get that finish?
Well, you basically do everything wrong. Hold the can way too far out and move it quickly. Repeat for all the colors your working with until get a THIN coat. Let it dry and repeat until you have the look you want.

Another cool one is to paint the 1st coat as you normally do and let dry. Then a light 2nd coat of another color and mist water on it and let dry. Repeat 2nd step with a 3rd color or same until you have a look you like.

Thanks for the complements! I I only spent 2 hrs. at the most on the painting and taping.

I didn't go out and get the hi temp paint or anything for that matter. I spent a good couple hours putting the rear sprocket on. I 'm an experienced mechanical assembler with patients. I tell you I will not be looking forward to doing that again! I thought it would be smooth sailing after I test fitted it over the hub and it fit over the bearing housing like it was made for it. The process is a real pain! I'm sure that is not news to anyone that has done it.

The bottom bolt on the SBP kickstand was too long. I had to cut off 3 or 4 threads. But, it actually helped check the wobble.

I thought I'd throw in a pic of the stand I made in all of 15 min to keep the mirror and shifters off the ground while it was upside down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44T.JPG (427.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg 44T (1).JPG (448.7 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 44T (2).JPG (444.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg QuickStand.JPG (435.1 KB, 176 views)
Building 2nd kit in 6 years. Cheez this time. 1st one was a DAX.