View Single Post
Old 03-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default Motorized Bicycle Chain Noise

There has been a lot of discussion about clutch/chain noise from the 2 stroke Chinese engine. I've found one source that anyone with a Dremel tool or a grinding stone in a drill can cure. Both of my engines, one from Dax, the other a Chris Hill motor, had chain interference with the clutch actuator cover. The photos show where I found the chain was hitting inside the cover and what I did to eliminate the contact. After this modification my clutch/chain noise was dramatically reduced. It's easy. Give it a try.
Remove the clutch actuator cover, look for the telltale marks on the inside of the cover where the chain has been hitting. (photo 1) I used a Dremel tool with a sanding drum but any abrasive tool will suffice, to remove enough material to widen the space between the cover and the chain. After grinding the relief area I installed the cover and spun the rear wheel with the clutch dis-engaged, and looked for any spots that were still hitting and then ground off just a little more material.
The attached photos are self explanatory. Any questions, just ask.
Oh, and before you tell me my chains are too, they're not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch, 1.JPG (104.1 KB, 2445 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch, 3.JPG (102.3 KB, 2187 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch, 5.JPG (124.2 KB, 2126 views)
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"

Last edited by 2door; 04-02-2012 at 05:58 PM.