View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Best Rattle Can Paint I Have Found Yet!

"Yeah I like yellow and black actually toying with the same scheme for a Schwinn continental 10
speed I am going to convert."

I did my old motorized continental 10-speed with a yellow and black scheme. The old baby-blue paint was so gouged up and covered with reflector tape, that I needed to completely strip all paint and sand the steel. I figured a motorized bike was likely to get plenty of rock chips and such, so I wanted a finish that wouldn't show chips and scratches much.
I used Krylon X-metals paint. It's like a candy apple finish over shiny bare metal. They also have a "chrome-looking" base coat that you can use, but I got good results on bare metal.
It looks like the cap on the can, a nice shiny, chrome-y, effect. Photos don't do it justice.
I don't know if I would really recommend it. It's very runny, especially the first coat. You have to just dust it on. A minimum of three coats. In my opinion, it won't do as a finish coat; must be clear-coated. If you want the same effect, a quality candy apple color might be better.

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 01-25-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: dead links