Thread: New Project
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New Project

Originally Posted by Austritch View Post
I too am having thoughts about wheel building. Local bike shop was no help at all! My bike was a donor Mongoose Dolomite fat tire bike with dual disc brakes and steel deep-dish rims. The thoughts I am having are because I am running a GY6 150cc engine and if the the stock hubs, spokes, and rims can handle that kind of power. I have all the details of the build on an album in my profile. For some reason I can't get any pics to load on the thread. I have been thinking about maybe upgrading the spokes to 11 gauge before I try to ride it. Does anyone have experience with this kind of build? Are there any pre-built fat bike wheels sets that would be strong enough? Keep in mind that I will be mounting the rear drive sprocket where the rear disc brake rotor should go, utilizing the existing mount plate and bolt pattern on the hub. This bike will not be ridden hard. I will be cruising at speeds of 35-40mph and have some left over power to get out of the way of trouble. Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns?
If the rims are steel they should hold up fine, i think i would use them as is as not using a rag sprocket mount. Then if you see any signs of fatigue, you could lace in the 11 gage spokes............Just my thought............Curt