View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I added a set of proper turn signals. Two red in back and two amber in front.

LEDs with an automotive LED compatible flasher unit. I got a little box that holds 8 AA batteries in series, giving 12 Volts. I couldn't find an On/Off/On switch at the auto parts store. So I got two On/Off toggle switches and put one on each handlebar near the grip. Mounted them on the hold down bolts for the brake/clutch levers. So activating them is simply a matter of reaching over with my thumb and throwing the switch. If I throw both at once, then I've got 4 way flashers.

More than half of my riding is after dark. And I used them tonight on my way home from work. It was definitely a more secure feeling signalling my intent to traffic in a way that everyone would see and recognize. I should have done this a long time ago.

This was a hurry-up job. So the wiring is not all that neat and tidy, for instance. And I was too rushed to be taking pictures in any case.

But I'm building another bike right now. And this one is meant to be very tidy. I'll build a better set of turn signals for that bike. And I'll get pics of that.