View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Here I go again,Briggs build

Slipping of the belts is another whole issue. Some like belts as they are quieter than a chain, but you don't have issues with slippage. A pulley less than 3 inches in diameter is usually asking for trouble with slipping.

The surface area of the small pulley does not grab enough and also bending a tight radius tends to chew and heat up the belt, that expands the belt and it slips even more. Splashed water when going through a puddle also till it drys on the belt and pulley is cause for slippage.

I use an adjustable diameter pulley to get tension set on a belt before pulling the rear hub back into the drop outs. That set one of the belts tension.

The other belt I put on with a back idler pulley fully recessed, then I snug it as much as I think won't collapse the large 10 inch spoked pulley. Note, I have that pulley under a strong metal cover, as it is otherwise a formidable deterrent to keeping your limbs if it were to fail.

Engine braking is quite a bit with my 22:1, the clutch shoes don't disengage until I slow enough near idle rpm. It is strange to think of the mass of the bike going down a hill spinning the engine. You can wait until you slow down enough then the shoes retract.

You can then be at idle and then start coasting down a hill faster and faster, then with a short burst of throttle and letting it go back to idle and the shoes of the clutch are again put the bike in engine brake mode.

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 02-11-2016 at 10:28 PM.