View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: my journey begins

Hi MacZulu,

Been fighting a Staph infection in my left knee that got into the bone for the last two years. One more operation and it will be over.

The hub motor in the sidecar wheel didn't work for a number of reasons. Then I moved it into a 26" rear wheel and at 500w and 36V I was asking to much of it to move the bike, sidecar and me at 209kg or 450 pounds. I now am going to a 3,000w, 48V midmotor that clamps to the seat stay and drives one of two sprockets on the pedal crank to the back wheel. When the motor is off it free wheels so the bike can be pedaled if need be.

I'll be working on it late this spring when the money for the battery becomes available. Grin Technologies in Vancouver has a toe tapper of a battery with the latest and best but at close to $1,800 plus the tax. I have to decide if I need that much battery. There are a lot of batteries for half that cost. It's just how much do I need.

I'll ask Silverbear to post what he has that we are working on. I just have the Monark and sidecar and the Indian tri car. He has a few going on that we work on sort of round robin if we get bogged down on one.