View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Hello from Houston! (TX)

Originally Posted by Ryoskate View Post
Howdy! Been following up on motorized bicycles and this forum for about a year now but I never really registered. Should have, and now I did.

I've been somewhat active in the Rat Rod Bikes forums but the motorized scene is pretty dead there so I'll probably double post or move here in a bit.

I will be getting a cheap chinagirl which I'll completely take apart and QC from ground up, Maybe a puch head and some goodies to make a bit more power. I may work with DIY - CDI If I have the chance.

Really looking forward to seeing more science and engineering than superstition commonly seen in Facebook pages As well as Local Texas laws (which I believe is still a "greyzone") if there are anything new.

Anyways, enough talk, here's a picture of mi bicicleta.

I agree with the grey area. I can only tell you my experience. Living in Austin I did, a while back confirm with someone at the DMV or DPS(I forget which) that no license, registration or insurance was necessary for a 49CC motorized bicycle. Think they call it a motor assisted bicycle(not to be confused with a motor assisted scooter). However, not all officers throughout Texas knows this. AS far as the Texas Sheriff's Dept. is concerned I have a legal motorized bicycle. I have spoken to them in front of my residence(live on a dirt road outside of APD's jurisdiction and they(sheriff's dept) stroll by occasionally) and that was confirmed by him. I have since been "stopped" by 3 other officers with Sheriff SUV's at my local convenience store just to ask me what I was riding and for some specifics about it. Not once did they ask me for my license or why it wasn't tagged. I have however heard of Issues over at UT but I rarely venture downtown. I wasn't paying attention unfortunately and stopped mere maybe a foot from a parked vehicle as I was coming to a stop in a parking lot at the convenience store. It was a Sheriff. WHOOPS!!!! He just asked me where I got it from. I told him where the bike came from and the motor was added on(OBVIOUSLY). I had my Kryptonite series 2 U-lock and a very thick cable as well. Even before I went to lock it up he asked me you want me to watch it while you're inside? Sure, thank you.

Anyways I wasn't expecting to ramble. Sorry about that. WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!