View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: How to know when broken in? Fuel ratios?

I gotta agree it's a grey area and everyone you ask will have their own opinions... my thoughts would be to say it's safe to run the engine on 32:1 right from the start and go up to 40:1 after the second tank is used up.
A lot of it depends on how you ride too as hard riding and high rpm use does mean more oil is needed in the mix, even tho I've run 100:1 using opti2 and not had any problems, but I'm not going to recommend others do this for obvious reasons, and it was like 35 degrees outside and it was about a 3/4 mile round trip. The short trips and the cold weather is what kept that engine alive, but there's no way I would try that on a hot summer day, even on short trips like that. The opti2 at 100:1 mix is safe for cruising but if going fast I'll use amsoil dominator at 40:1 with a small amount of castor oil to bring the total content to around 35:1, then I feel a lot safer running at 10000 rpm for a half mile without letting off. You can mix opti2 at 50:1 or 40:1 but it gets pretty messy with oily residue or oil dripping out the exhaust after shut down and when parked it will leave a spot on the floor.
back to the break in, you will start to notice the engine running smoother, accelerating better, and a better top speed as the rings seat since there will be less friction and better ring sealing, you'll most likely notice the engine running cooler as well if you got a temp gauge or monitor your engine's temperature with an infrared thermometer, the point and shoot type..