View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Exclamation Re: Flat Tires and Land Mines

Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
How would old leather belts work? You'd have to stitch a few of them together, but they're cheap at the thrift store. it would be pretty tough to puncture a leather belt with a thorn...

Old leather belts work great but the longer ones are hard to find. You can overlap them and not really worry about bumps. I have been doing that since summer 08 and maybe 1 flat. I ride through Gary Indiana (more broken bottles than dirt) and necessity is the birth of invention. I did, it works but there is an even cheaper way to make a perfect size liner! I think for the more narrow tires belts might be too wide and perhaps expensive. If you find an old floor mat style carpet or perhaps an old office chair roller mat. Get a straight edge and cut long lengths to fit your needs. Perhaps any long strip of thick rubber will work. One might need to adjust the tube size as you might not need as large a tube if you stuff your tire like a rubber turkey. Please post any results you might have or ideas of materials used. I have heard of car tires being used as liners before they became steel belted I imagine.

My name is Chris and this was my first post. Cheers and I love these little gif images...

Last edited by Roadkill; 02-13-2009 at 11:48 PM.