View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 02:42 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: New to the motor bicycle world!

Some years ago I had a 63 Schwinn American Deluxe and installed my first China girl kit. What a learning experience that was. Like you, I found the pedal crank did not have clearance with the motor... just a wee bit, but enough to make it not work. Someone suggested trying a crankset from a bike made in Japan or China as they are a little wider. I did and it was enough to make the difference. So, I would suggest installing your crank from your old bike, to see if that does the trick. You'll need to swap the whole thing since the threads will be different if the Schwinn was made in America. If it was, congratulations on a good choice for your motorbike. Don't expect breaks in the frame if it came out of Chicago. I do know that after Schwinn was sold and came out of Taiwan that those bikes were also well made as I had one and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I have no experience with the Schwinn currently being sold, I believe out of mainland China. Good luck to you.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...

Last edited by silverbear; 05-02-2015 at 08:25 AM.