Thread: I'm confused!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM
MotorBicycleRacing's Avatar
MotorBicycleRacing MotorBicycleRacing is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal, Orange County.
Posts: 5,357
Default Re: I'm confused!

Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Quoted directly from California DMV's sight......
Here is the whole page that you cherry picked your quote in red from
while ignoring the rest of the page.

Also says that DMV.ORG is not a government website at the top.

California Mopeds, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Motorized Scooters
In the state of California, there are multiple classifications of smaller powered two-wheeled vehicles. These include motor-driven cycles, mopeds, and motorized scooters. You need to make sure which one of those classifications your vehicle falls into, because the licensing and registration requirements are different for each.

California Motor-Driven Cycle
In the state of California, CA Vehicle Code 405 defines a motor-driven cycle as having an engine size of 149cc (cubic centimeters) or less. To legally ride a motor-driven cycle, you must have a valid Class M1 license, and the vehicle must be registered at your local DMV office.

California Moped (Motorized Bicycle)
In California, a moped or “motorized bicycle” is a 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle equipped with pedals, a motor that generates less than 2 brake horsepower (or an electric motor that cannot be bigger than 1,000 watts), and an automatic transmission.

Mopeds are categorized in two separate CA Vehicle Codes (CVC)and the requirements differ for each type.

Moped Type CVC 406(a)
A moped meeting CVC 406(a) requires the operator to have a valid Class M1 or M2 motorcycle license
. The vehicle must be equipped with:

Operative pedals for propulsion by the rider, or no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy.
An automatic transmission.
A motor producing less than 2 brake horsepower (hp), capable of propelling the vehicle no faster than 30 MPH on level ground.
A moped will be issued special license plates and identification cards, which require a one-time $18 fee.

To obtain these items, you’ll need to fill out a Motorized Bicycle Application (Form REG 230), then mail the fee to:

Department of Motor Vehicles

P.O. Box 942869
Sacramento, CA 94269-0001
Pay your fee via check or money order only. The DMV specifically asks that you not send cash.

Moped Type CVC 406(b)
A CVC 406(b) moped is a motorized bicycle defined as:

A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor with an output of not more than 1,000 watts.
Incapable of reaching speeds of more than 20 MPH on level ground, even if assisted by human power.
You don’t need a license to ride a motorized bicycle that meets the definition of CVC 406(b); however, you must be at least 16 years old, and you must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet at all times.

Mopeds that meet CVC 406(b) are also exempt from both the motor vehicle financial responsibility (insurance) and moped license plate requirements.

California Motorized Scooter
A motorized scooter is a two-wheeled vehicle that has:

A floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding.
A propulsion system powered by a motor.
Motorized scooters do not have to be registered or have license plates displayed on the back, and they can be driven by anyone who has a valid CA driver’s license in any classification.

Getting Your CA Moped or Scooter License
If you’re 16 years of age or older, and if your moped is not capable of driving faster than 20 MPH, you can ride without a license.

To operate a motorized scooter you must be at least 16 years old and carry either an instruction permit or driver's license.

If you choose to ride a moped that can reach 30 MPH, you’re going to need a Class M2 or M1 license.

To apply for your Class M2 license, make an appointment at your local DMV office and:

Submit an original DL 44 application form. This form cannot be downloaded. Collect one at any DMV office, or have one mailed to you by calling (800) 777-0133.
Provide a thumb print.
Have your picture taken.
Pay the $33 application fee.
Pass a vision exam.
Pass the traffic laws and road signs test.

Last edited by MotorBicycleRacing; 04-24-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Reply With Quote