View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Can I use a power generator engine for a bicycle motor

I never like to see us squash innovative thinking or poo-poo on people's ideas when it comes to building something a little different from the norm. Nevertheless I do believe it's our responsibility to warn the uninformed of the potential dangers when we see them as such.

Obviously the OP is a youngster and I applaud his determination to build a bike and do it with what he has to work with. There are far too few of them today with the impetus to even attempt such a challenge. However, all of us with years of mechanical experience under our collective belts can readily see that what he is attempting to do probably won't work as he foresees it.

The most important factor here is safety. With a minimum of tools and a lack of fabrication and metal working skills, attaching a large engine to a bike, in-frame or friction drive sets the stage for potential injury. This is what we all want to avoid at any cost. Yes, we've probably all done things in our youth that could have, or did, cause us harm. Would we have listened if people had warned us? Probably not. Did you ever wish you had listened? I know I have a few times and have a couple of scars to prove it.

To our young member I suggest what others have and that is to try selling the engine he has and purchasing a 2 stroke kit to install. This will give him some experience and a feel for what is involved with things such as working with tools, fastener knowledge and some basic mechanical experience. Work up to a custom build from there. You'll look back on the project as a valued learning process that will pay dividends later

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and we'll be here to help you along if we can.

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"

Last edited by 2door; 04-07-2015 at 11:49 AM.