View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 07:58 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Can I use a power generator engine for a bicycle motor

First off, 6.5 hsp is a whole lot of motor requiring everything on the bike to come up to it in upgrades. Want to go fast? Better be able to stop fast, too. 40 mph on a motored bicycle is really fast. Fifty and you'd better know what you're doing. That's motorcycle speed.The frame itself needs to start out as a very strong one. The wheels need to be very strong as well. At speed everything becomes critical. Any time you're going non kit requires fabrication, often a lot of fabrication.

There are certain odds in your proposition, in my opinion. One is that it will be harder and more costly than you imagine. The other is that your chances of getting hurt are very good unless you can lower your speed expectations. Do it yourself projects are fun and what I like best and I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I think you would do well to think this through some more and revise your plan. You can ride safely and still have a lot of fun getting where you want to go. Good luck to you.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...