View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods View Post
I had pretty much decided a week or so ago to convert my bike from multi-speed, derraileur type to single speed coaster brake type. Just for the simplicity of it. But since that means a fair amount of retro-fitting, I figured I'd wait until I had a good, solid few free days.

Then yesterday at about noon I walked on out to the bike, to run a short errand, and found a flat rear tire. So I figure I might as well go ahead and do the conversion if I have to pull that rear wheel anyway.

So it took me the rest of the afternoon to pull the rim brakes and clean up the cables and handlebars and install the new rear wheel. That wasn't really so bad. But I felt a bit crabby about it because I had other plans for the day. big deal.

I got it all together as the supper hour was approaching. Took it out for a test run and toasted a wheel bearing. The one on the brake lever side of the wheel. That particular one seems to be a bit problematic; I've had trouble with those before.

So I replaced that bearing. I have one more as a backup. I'd better order some more. By that time the Sun had just about set.

So now it's morning and I'm waking up with a couple of cups of coffee. Then I go out and try to make sure that my bike is road-worthy. I've got a couple of hours before my work week starts. If I can't trust the bike, then it's a week of commuting by car. (Though I suppose my pedal bike could be ready without much trouble.) That's not the worst thing in the world. But I'd rather just have a working bike.

So wish me luck, eh?
Best wishes....bgw

Hope you got all the gremlins worked out of the motorbike.

having bearing trouble like that seems odd, but hey those thing happen.... I guess Ive been fortunate not to ever have an6 bearing issues with any of my bike wheels, coaster or multispeed, im sure eventually I will though.

I adjust my bearings welk and use a very good grease in them since I ride in such hot, dry, dusty conditions most all of the time, many of my rides are long and at a good clip with several miles on very dusty celiche roads before I even see pavement.

What brand of coaster hub are you running just out of curiousity?
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!