View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Originally Posted by mattwestmesa View Post
First off thank you for giving my bike a quick critique.
Yes I put a piece of rubber bike tube between the frame and the mounts. I watched a video online that said to do so. So I should take those out? ok will do.
And then flush up the rear mount and let the front mount be a little off? I just figured the front one would be more important because its bigger and has the weight of the motor pushing down on it.

The bike is a Torker Alpental 26 with a Manitou Downhill fork.
yes removing the rubber is a good idea, use a dab of loctite to secure mounting hardware and whatever you do be careful not to over tighten the nuts, they need to be tight but 6mm hardware is a bit fragile.

on the rear studs I double nut them, I just get the first nut good and snug then just a little more tweak and then I put a dot of blue loctite on in front of the first nut and then with a 10mm wrench on each nut I tighten the outer nut down real good against the other one, never had single issue since I started doing mine this way.

the rear mounting area takes the biggest beating from bump starting and torque of the engine pulling on it since you'll notice the drive sprocket is just in front of it and when the engine pulls on the chain the engine wants to rotate over to the left, nearly Everytime I've seen a rear stud break its been on the right side since the engine pulls hard on that one, this is why you do want to overtighten then, if they're tightened to the point of overstressing them the engine vibration will cause them to shear off fairly quickly and having rubber between engine and the frame actually intensifies those vibrations into the studs.

no rubber

good and tight but nut to tight

double nut with a dab of blue thread locker

and that should make it much less likely that you'll have an issue with the mounting hardware.

thanks for understanding Im just trying to be helpful and not critical.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!