View Single Post
Old 02-23-2015, 12:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Good, two stroke motor kit.

Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
When I talked to Duane on the phone here a while back, he told me he was running his new GT5 platform engine with out a gasket and running the Puch/RT head on it with excellent results, if the surfaces of head and cylinder deck are true and the head nuts are torqued down evenly this setup is gona work just fine on a GT5 or half Breed engine since the piston lacks a few .001"s coming up the the ideal TDC.

For mine I'm just shaving the jug deck until I get piston as far up in the hole as I want it and then use a gasket, but it seems that on these GT5 and half breed engines not using a head gasket is an improvement if you use a head other than the stock kit heads that are known for warping and sometime even giving issue when using a gasket.

The Puch/RT head and several other aftermarket heads we have available these days should work good without a gasket as long as the deck is surfaced on fine sandpaper taped to a piece of glass to get a smooth flat deck so it will seal good.

I'm also a fan of Dax, just hard to go wrong with dealing with him or the products he sells so I promote them.
If it seals up well without a gasket it's just one less thing to change dimensions or worry about. I was real surprised to see it without one.
No probs at all. I don't know if the cylinder has a base gasket, I never took it apart. I will probably take it down to check the porting for flashover sometime when the weather warms up. I won't be dremeling anything else.