View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Gravity or siphon gas line

Some will say to wrap the mount area with tape or some other material to "protect the frame from vibration". I maintain that if the clamp fits right and is tight, it can't/won't move so therefore no vibration damage will occure.

Voodo???? You mean the vibration from the motor magically disappears ?
Or: you have now turned the bike frame into a large tuning fork.
Where the vibration from sed motor is free to attack the frame at it's weakest point.
Say, fender stays or rear down tubes, rear welded on racks on some Huffy's and Schwinn's, ETC.......All prone to failure on gas bikes.
Oddly enough, you rarely if ever see those same type of failure on non gas bikes.
Aluminum is more prone to harmonic stress failures than steel.
But steel still falls prey to it.....

I agree with 2dore on the custom mounting method. As well as his point several posts beck concerning drilling the frame . BAD IDEA.
Exhaust clamps should also be avoided , ( IMHO ) as they are designed to crush the material they are applied to ( that is how they create a seal on exhaust tubing ) .Generally a bad idea on a bike frame.
IMHO , the best method to mount sed motor would be the method used by Hawk. Post and flange.
Not every one has the means to fab the mounts. I understand......
If one must clamp ( as I do on cruiser frames ) A good isolator that allows for a solid mount is best....
I know , I know , it goes against all that most of you seem to believe.
It's the engineer in me. Over engineering something is rarely a bad thing .
Under engineering leads to disaster.
I hope this clarifies my thinking and methods here.
As was stated earlier. Build the Damn thing however you like.
It is after all a reflection of you and your abilities. And is your machine.
Just try to be safe out there.....
Happy Trails......