View Single Post
Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Pull start china doll?

Originally Posted by Davezilla View Post
Mine has a plastic spool and a regular pull rope but like I mentioned, I pull it gently by bringing the engine up to compression then a sharp pull to avoid messing up the pawls. It will need a new rope real soon and I like the idea of the paracord. I'll also inspect it when its rope change time and replace it with one of the better ones if I see any other signs of accelerated wear.
I really like having a way to start the engine other than bump starting especially when working on the bike or on cold mornings when I prefer to let it warm up a few minutes before going WOT for a mile down to my favorite taco hut and back. The engine just behaves a lot better than when I just fire it up and go.
You hit the nail on the head, they should be pulled and not jerked, I'm gonna have pull start on my next bike build also, bump starting is hard on the drive train and the clutch pucks, I run small driven sprockets on my bikes and that make bump starting a bit harder also.

I had one on my first build and liked it, I finally took it off because it wasn't one of the better ones and it gave me some trouble, but now that I have a better one to use, I plan to use it.
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!