View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Curious about the engine, :question:

Originally Posted by cannonball2 View Post
Guys, that's not a half breed(see link). It has a ZAE50 rod. If I am seeing it right its an 80. That's the rod Fred says in his crank vid he has never seen. Its grouped with the GT5 engine with the FM80 rod. It is 38mm but has a much longer rod(if he is right and they are the same). This crank runs the high pin piston. Look for fine cyl stud threads.

Heres some are some comparison pics of the Dax, ZAE50, and the FM80/GT5. I have been wrestling with this crank thing down in my scratch build thread. pic1 ZAE50/FM80 pic2 Dax/FM80 pic3 ZAE50/Dax the dax appears a 38mm instead of the advertised 40.

I have an engine with the ZAE50 rod, the "Half Breed" engine, piston doesn't completely clear exhaust port at BDC and piston stops shy of being even with cylinder deck at TDC by about 0.0625" just like Fred had said it would be.

My H-B engine has good low down power but has a lower top end than the Older GenIV 40mm stroke dax engine with the same mods to the cylinders ports, the H-B needs some other mods to get it to perform as good as the 40mm stroke engines.

The newer Dax engines are 38mm stroke GT5 type engines.

After going back and looking at the pix CB2, I can see what you're saying, looks like the 3rd pic shows the ZAE50 rod to be the same exact length as the GT5 type rod thats in the newer Dax 38mm stroke engines....! OK now I think I'm officially confused since the Newer Dax engine uses the high pin GT5 piston.

YesImLDS, has one of the newer dax engines and it looks to be simply a GT5 engine, 38mm stroke and high pin piston.

Freds Video explains different engine geometries and rods that depict which engine we have. (Or does it?)
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!

Last edited by mapbike; 01-28-2015 at 09:13 AM.