View Single Post
Old 01-11-2015, 01:43 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Have any of you ever taken your bike across country?

Originally Posted by brown View Post
I have not tried a cross country run but I have done several long weekend rides. All of them have been along the Great River Road.

I have a small fleet of bikes. We usually take 4 guys. My favorite trip is from Prairie Du Chien WI to Lacrosse WI which is about 60 miles each way.

We take enough gear to camp on the Island in Lacrosse and then ride back the next day. The Great River Road follows the Mississippi River the whole way and there is a shoulder to ride on 99% of the ride.

We have a trip planned for Memorial Day Weekend in the Alton, Grafton and St Louis area, It will also be on the GRR but will include ferry rides and rides along the river in both the Illinois and Missouri sides.
That sounds so fulfilling. Maybe I should start with a shorter ride and see how it goes from there. The further I have gone so far is kind of deep into indiana from illinois. I couldn't say how many miles it was but it would have been about a 2 and a half hour car ride and I really wanted to go farther but I was absolutely freezing.