View Single Post
Old 01-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: 50cc GY6 on a Bicycle??

Originally Posted by cannonball2 View Post
Heres a couple of pics of my scoot. Chose the Ruckus style as the engine is instantly accessible. Paid $699(plus shipping of course) and probably spent more than that in mods. You can forget the iffy experiences with the CG engines with the GY6. This is of course a Honda designed unit and I understand in the latter years of usage by Honda some were made in China, so they (then) were built to Hondas standards. Still seem to be. Some times the scooter part is a bit crude in execution but the engines seem to all be of good quality. I have run the absolute crap out of this one with no issues. The engine is modded with a big bore kit, high comp big valve head, perf cam, 30mm carb with free flow intake clocked to face the front, unlimited CDI, header/free flow exhaust and a hi-torque starter to handle the increased compression. The CVT has just about as many upgrades. Swapping weights is a snap(you can even mix em) to get just the curve you want. I also upgraded the stock wheels to 3" wide version with sticky higher speed rated tires, along with the brakes. Handling is excellent for a scoot.
Acceleration is immediate and I surprise a lot of M/C riders for the fist couple of hundred feet at traffic lights.

Somebody please do a build bike around one of these!
Nice looking scoots, mine isn't nearly as mod'd out as yours, just a better exhaust, jet size increase in stock carb, unlimited CDI, high energy coil, and some minor upgrage to the CVT which sin't any where near where it needs to be yet.

These engine are a blast to tinker with and they really run a hole in the wind for their size, some of my friends and family have been really impressed with how well this thing will get up and go for a little 150cc engine on a chinese scooter, these scooter are the best thing I've had for zipping around town on, so easy to handle and plenty of power and speed to run with traffic around town.

GY6 clones are very reliable little engines and there is almost an endless supply of upgrades internal and external for these engines.
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!