View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: "So & So" Motorbikes, I don't get it???

PS: I just realized that there are a small handful of vehicles out there that were far more in-house construction than the vast majority of others. The Model T Ford leaps to mind. They made the engine, the chassis, the bodywork, the seats, the wheels, the radiator, the dash and controls (but I don't know about the gauges) and painted the thing on site. I think tires were one thing they didn't make; many had Dunlops or Firestone NON-SKID. And batteries - I don't know where Ford got them.
These days, even the Big Three have formed multiple alliances through time. Some Fords have Toyota parts. Dodges have (I must admit) excellent Mitsubishi engines. GM gets bunches of minor pieces from China. (And yes, so does Harley Davidson. Indian is more American-made now.) The Model T, the Volkswagen Beetle, and a rare few others are all we could view as "mostly pure". Throwing stuff together in the best-working way possible and sticking your name to it has been done longer and more often than anybody is comfortable to admit.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"